Quick Glance: Trump found liable for fraud in New York civil lawsuit
- The court determined that the documents presented here contain fraudulent valuations that the defendants used in their business.
- Attorney General Letitia James filed a lawsuit against Mr. Trump last September, accusing him, his two adult sons, and the Trump Organization of lying about his net worth and asset values between 2011 and 2021.
- Mr. Trump previously denied any wrongdoing and dismissed the New York case as another politically motivated "witch hunt" brought by a biased prosecutor.
- As part of the Tuesday decision, the Trump Organization was instructed to cancel its business licenses in New York and propose independent monitors within 10 days to oversee the process.
According to a judge, former US President Donald Trump intentionally ...
Case against ex-president
Quick Glance: Trump Faces Fraud Charges: New York Judge Holds Him Accountable
- Former US President Donald Trump suffered a major legal defeat.
- Judge Arthur Engoron ruled that Trump and his company can be held liable for fraud.
- Trump manipulated the value of his Trump Organization for years, committing fraud.
- Trump is accused of inflating his wealth by up to $3.6 billion to obtain loans more easily.
Quick Glance: Eric Trump criticizes court ruling on Mar-a-Lago value
- Eric Trump criticized a judge's valuation of Mar-a-Lago in a fraud case, claiming the Florida property could be worth over a billion dollars.
Quick Glance: Donald Trump held accountable for fraud in New York civil case
- Engoron also ordered the cancellation of certificates that allowed some of Trump's businesses, including the Trump Organization, to operate in New York, and appointed a receiver to manage the businesses' dissolution.
- The judge described how Trump, his adult sons Donald Jr. and Eric, the Trump Organization, and other defendants fabricated valuations and inflated Trump's net worth to meet their business needs.
- Christopher Kise, a lawyer representing Trump, stated, 'Today's scandalous decision is completely detached from the facts and the applicable law.'
- James expressed anticipation in presenting the remaining aspects of her case in court.
Quick Glance: Mark Milley's Controversial Legacy as America's Top General
- Milley's conduct was unquestionably extraordinary in the final months and days of the Trump administration.
- Concerned about Trump's mental decline, Milley instructed senior operations officers not to take orders from anyone unless he was involved.
- Milley publicly apologized for creating a perception of the military involved in domestic politics.
- Republican lawmakers and former Trump administration officials accused him of undermining civilian control of the military.
Quick Glance: Paul Ryan warns Republicans about impending shutdown
- Internal conflicts within the House GOP have been occurring for weeks.
- Ryan, however, is uncertain if House Republicans will be able to accomplish it in time.
- Ryan served as Speaker of the House during the 2018 government shutdown, which lasted a record-breaking 35 days.
Quick Glance: UAW President Criticizes Trump's Loyalty to the 'Billionaire Class' Ahead of Visit
- UAW President Shawn Fain criticizes former President Trump, stating that he serves a 'billionaire class,' one day before Trump's visit to Detroit to speak with union members.
- Fain added, 'He serves a billionaire class, and that's the problem in this country.'
- Fain stated, 'All you have to do is look at his track record.'
- Fain said, 'And the ultimate proof of how much he cares about our workers was in 2019 when he was the president of the United States.'
Quick Glance: US FCC Chair Proposes Restoring Net Neutrality Rules
- US FCC Chair Jessica Rosenworcel plans to quickly reinstate the net neutrality rules rescinded under former President Donald Trump.
- An initial vote on the proposal to largely reinstate the open internet rules adopted in 2015 under President Barack Obama is scheduled for October 19.
- Restoring net neutrality would also bolster the FCC's authority to require internet service providers to address internet outages.
- The proposal largely mirrors the 2015 net neutrality rules but would introduce a change allowing the FCC to block authorization of companies controlled by foreign adversaries on national security grounds.
Quick Glance: US Senate Considers Cannabis Banking Reform, Industry Demands More
- A US Senate committee will vote on a bill to grant the legal cannabis industry access to banking.
- The disconnect between federal and state governments is concerning for the $13.2 billion legal marijuana industry.
- Meanwhile, 22 states have legalized cannabis for medical or recreational purposes.
- The CEO of the National Cannabis Industry Association expressed frustration with the ongoing discussions.
Donald Trump committed fraud by exaggerating wealth, judge says: The ruling comes days before the civil trial is set to begin on New York AG Letitia James' ...
Quick Glance: Former Reagan officials endorse Pence
- Former Vice President Mike Pence receives endorsement from former Reagan officials.
- Officials urge fellow Republicans to support Pence in the Republican primary.
- Pence is praised for his conservative principles and support for U.S. military might.
- The officials also highlight Pence's belief that every human life is precious and should be protected.
Quick Glance: Biden criticizes congressional Republicans for impending government shutdown
- President Biden urges Republicans in Congress to do their job or not be elected.
- A small group of extreme Republicans in Congress refuses to honor an agreement, potentially affecting all Americans.
- Congress has until September 30 to pass legislation to fund the government and avoid a shutdown.
- Biden calls out Trump for supporting a shutdown and neglecting American families.
More than half of the Democratic caucus has encouraged Sen. Bob Menendez (D-NJ) to step down following his ...
Quick Glance: Calls for Bob Menendez's Resignation
- Senator Bob Menendez to make first remarks following indictment
- Democratic senators call for Bob Menendez's resignation
- Many Democratic officials in New Jersey also call for Menendez's resignation
- Democratic Representative Andy Kim to challenge Menendez
Colin Kaepernick, who hasn’t been on an NFL roster since 2017, formally requested that he join the New York ...
Quick Glance: Colin Kaepernick Requests to Join Jets' Practice Squad
- The former NFL quarterback provides multiple reasons why he would be a good fit for the Jets' practice squad following Aaron Rodgers' Achilles injury in Week 1 of the 2023 season.
- Unlike other veteran quarterbacks considered as possible options for the Jets, Kaepernick has not retired from the league despite not playing since 2016.
- Kaepernick's letter was shared on Instagram by J. Cole with permission from the quarterback, after the Jets signed another veteran quarterback, Trevor Siemian, to their practice squad on Tuesday.
Quick Glance: The Powerful Impact of Donald Trump's Absence
- Donald Trump's absence from the Republican presidential debates in August had a strong influence.
- A character you don't see can make a bigger impression than those you do.
- In the first debate, Mike Pence referred to Mr. Trump as someone who is probably looking on.
- Even on debate nights, Donald Trump is not truly offstage.
Quick Glance: Hunter Biden sues Rudy Giuliani for unauthorized access and sharing of personal data
- Hunter Biden files lawsuit against Rudy Giuliani for wrongfully accessing and sharing his personal data.
- The lawsuit is part of Hunter's efforts to push back against Republicans who have spread his private data, including alleged emails and embarrassing images.
- The suit accuses Giuliani and attorney Robert Costello of hacking, manipulating, copying, and disseminating Biden's data, resulting in a complete breach of his digital privacy.
- Biden also calls for an investigation into Giuliani, Costello, and the owner of the Wilmington computer repair shop.
Quick Glance: Former Trump Aide Hutchinson Criticizes Matt Gaetz Over Dating Rumors
- In an interview with MSNBC's Rachel Maddow, Hutchinson denies having a relationship with Rep. Matt Gaetz.
- Hutchinson emphasizes that she has higher standards in men and that she only had a friendly working relationship with Gaetz.
- According to Hutchinson's upcoming book, Gaetz allegedly tried to seduce her at Camp David but was scolded by Rep. Kevin McCarthy.
- Hutchinson also accuses Rudy Giuliani of groping her on January 6, a claim which Giuliani denies.
Quick Glance: New Initiative for Net Neutrality: Is Broadband Essential?
- Former President Donald Trump could bring back landmark net neutrality rules.
- The proposed rules would classify broadband services as an essential telecommunications service.
- Internet service providers would be prohibited from blocking or throttling lawful Internet traffic and selling 'fast lanes'.
- The FCC will vote in October to gather public comment on the proposed rules.
Recommended for you