Is Chicago Tribune a reliable source?
This is how independent third parties assess the credibility and media bias of this source.
Chicago Tribune scores a total of 40 Plus Points and 7 Minus Points in our evaluation of journalistic quality.
This corresponds to a score of 79* resp. the grade A- (very good).
*: (40 + 5 BP) * 100 / (40 + 5 BP + 7 + 5 BP)
The breakdown of the points follows below.
This corresponds to a score of 79* resp. the grade A- (very good).
|very good||A+||> 89|
|A||89 - 84|
|A-||83 - 79|
|good||B+||78 - 74|
|B||73 - 69|
|B-||68 - 63|
|satisfactory||C+||62 - 58|
|C||57 - 53|
|C-||52 - 47|
|sufficient||D+||46 - 44|
|D||43 - 40|
|D-||39 - 37|
|poor||E+||36 - 33|
|E||32 - 30|
|E-||29 - 26|
The breakdown of the points follows below.
News from reputable sources that might interest you
Quick Glance: Arrest Made in 1996 Tupac Shakur Murder
- Breaking news photo
- Tupac Shakur, the hip-hop legend, was shot four times in a drive-by shooting in Las Vegas in 1996.
- This news is constantly updated and more details will be released soon.
Quick Glance: Dianne Feinstein, California Senator and Pioneer of Liberal Priorities, Dies at 90
- California Senator Dianne Feinstein, a moderate Democrat and advocate for liberal causes, has passed away at the age of 90.
- Feinstein was a trailblazer and champion in local and national politics.
- President Joe Biden described her as a pioneering American and a cherished friend.
- Feinstein's bipartisan efforts led to legislative wins throughout her career.
Quick Glance: US General Milley Criticizes Trump Upon Retirement
- US General Mark Milley retires after a four-year tenure.
- Milley emphasizes that US troops take an oath to the Constitution and not to a 'wannabe dictator'.
- Milley made the statement during a ceremony at Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall near Washington.
- Milley handed over command to General Charles Q. Austin.
Quick Glance: Importing a Solution to Nursing Shortages: Impact on Rich and Poor Countries
- An international bidding war for healthcare workers has led to opportunities for some nurses and exploitation for others, while leaving poorer health systems struggling.
- AMN Healthcare, a Dallas-based staffing agency and one of America's largest international recruiters, has seen a 300% increase in the number of foreign nurses placed in US hospitals since the start of the pandemic.
- Sinead Carbery, President of International Staffing at AMN Healthcare, explains the value of international nurses: they have an average of 12 years of nursing experience.
- International nurses are often assigned to bedside positions, according to Aure and Carbery.
Quick Glance: X to Achieve Profitability Next Year, CEO States
- CEO Linda Yaccarino stated on Wednesday that X, formerly known as Twitter, is expected to become profitable by early 2024.
- Yaccarino, who took over the company from billionaire owner Elon Musk in June, announced at Vox Media's annual Code Conference that the social media company is close to breaking even.
- Since Musk acquired the social media company last fall and implemented a series of controversial changes, the platform has faced challenges in retaining advertisers.
- Musk mentioned in a recent post on X that the company's U.S. advertising revenue is still down by 60 percent, although he did not specify the timeframe.
Quick Glance: US Government Faces Shutdown as Republicans Reject Funding Bill
- Hardline Republicans in the House reject bill to fund government temporarily
- Shutdown expected to begin on Sunday
- Measure to extend funding by 30 days defeated
- 21 hardline House Republicans side with Democrats to defeat the bill
The Robert Koch Institute estimates that around 3,100 people died because ...
Quick Glance: Over 3000 Heat-Related Deaths in Germany in Summer 2023
- According to the Robert Koch Institute, an estimated 3100 people died due to heat in the summer.
- More than half of the heat-related deaths this summer were at least 85 years old.
- The high proportion of women among older people is the reason, as stated in the announcement.
Quick Glance: North Texas federal employees prepare for upcoming government shutdown
- Federal employees in North Texas seeking assistance from local food banks and community centers.
- A shutdown is unnecessary and avoidable, hopefully it doesn't happen.
- Sen. Patty Murray blocked the proposal but argued for continued pay for all federal workers.
- Ted Cruz would pause his paychecks in the event of a shutdown.
Quick Glance: GM and Ford CEOs Clash with UAW as Union Expands Strikes
- GM and Ford CEOs criticize United Auto Workers (UAW) as the union escalates the strike.
- UAW chief Shawn Fain responds by expanding the strike against the Detroit Three.
- Fain orders walk-offs at Ford's Chicago assembly plant and GM's Lansing, Michigan, assembly plant.
- Ford is reconsidering the size and scope of the $3.5 billion Marshall battery plant due to uncertainty over labor costs.
The guard, traded to Milwaukee on Wednesday, thanked the Blazers fans ...
Damian Lillard writes long, heartfelt letter to Rip City
Quick Glance: Trail Blazers trade Damian Lillard to the Milwaukee Bucks in unexpected move
- The Portland Trail Blazers traded Damian Lillard to the Milwaukee Bucks, causing a stir not only in the NBA but also in the sports world.
- The Bucks acquired Lillard, while Portland received Jrue Holiday, Deandre Ayton, Toumani Camara, an unprotected first-round Bucks pick in 2029, and an unprotected Bucks pick swap in 2028.
- The surprise is not that Lillard was traded - that was expected.
- The shock is that Lillard is going to Milwaukee, not the Miami Heat.
The government in Rome accuses German organizations of promoting ...
Escape across the Mediterranean
Quick Glance: Elon Musk criticizes German politics
- Criticism of German support for Mediterranean sea rescue
- Criticism of German migration policy
- Criticism of German ships bringing refugees to Italy
- Increasing comments on political issues
Now the Chancellor has also spoken out: Olaf ...
Scholz criticizes dentists' statement
Quick Glance: Scholz criticizes Merz: Statements about refugees not legally accurate
- Scholz criticizes Merz for statements about refugees
- Scholz open to allowing more asylum seekers to work in Germany
- Scholz has no objection to giving vouchers to asylum seekers
Quick Glance: California increases minimum wage for fast food workers to $20
- Fast food workers in California will receive a minimum wage of at least $20 per hour starting next year.
- California's minimum wage for all other workers, $15.50 per hour, is already one of the highest in the United States.
- Most fast food workers in California are over 18 and the primary providers for their families.
- The minimum wage increase takes effect on April 1 and applies to workers in restaurants with at least 60 nationwide locations.
Experts are optimistic of detecting life signs on a faraway world within our ...
Alien life in Universe
Quick Glance: Is Discovering Alien Life in the Universe Near at Hand?
- Astronomers are now certain that there is life elsewhere in the Universe.
- NASA's James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) recently found promising indications of life on a planet outside our Solar System - and it has many more worlds to explore.
- Even if no signs of life are detected on K2-18b, the team has 10 more Goldilocks planets on their list to investigate.
- The most probable location for life is one of Jupiter's icy moons, Europa.
Republican witnesses said the House lacks sufficient grounds to ...
'Look for the fire'
Quick Glance: Republicans initiate Biden impeachment inquiry over son's business dealings
- Republicans hold first hearing on impeachment inquiry, revealing foreign payments to Biden family members but no evidence of personal benefit to the president.
- Hearing reviews Republican evidence of Hunter Biden's foreign business ventures, alleging that Biden's family sold access.
- Biden accused of lying about family's business dealings and failing to separate them from his official duties.
- Republicans claim Biden and his family profited from policies pursued during Obama administration.
Quick Glance: First co-defendant pleads guilty in Trump Georgia case
- A co-defendant in an extensive case of election interference in Georgia, involving former President Trump, has admitted guilt and become the first to do so in the case.
- Scott Hall, the owner of a bail bond business, has acknowledged five charges of conspiracy to deliberately interfere with election duties.
- While on probation, he is also barred from engaging in 'polling activities,' and is required to write an apology letter to Georgia citizens and provide truthful testimony in future proceedings.
- The other 18 defendants, including Trump, have entered not guilty pleas.
Quick Glance: Judge denies 'fake electors' attempts to move cases to federal court
- Judge denies 'fake electors' attempts to move cases to federal court.
- Judge Jones denies defendants' requests to move their cases.
- Judge Jones rules that 'fake electors' were not federal officials.
- Judge denies defendants' argument of acting under the direction of other federal officers.
Quick Glance: Outrage over Merz's Accusations against rejected Asylum Seekers
- CDU leader fuels division with false statements
- Merz faces sharp criticism beyond the talk show
Quick Glance: BYU dominates Cincinnati in second half for first Big 12 win
- BYU's offense comes to life in the second half, defeating Cincinnati 35-27.
- The Cougars score touchdowns on four of six drives, building a two-score lead in the fourth quarter.
- Cincinnati controls the first half and leads 10-7 after a late field goal.
- BYU's offense struggles until late in the first half, with only two passing yards.
Quick Glance: Impending Government Shutdown in the US
- Republicans narrowly control the House, while Democrats hold the Senate by a single seat.
- In a closed-door meeting, Mr McCarthy stated that Republicans must choose between the House bill or the Senate's version to avoid being blamed for a shutdown.
- The White House supports Mr Schumer's call for the House to back his spending bill.
- The path to fund the government has been outlined by the Senate with bipartisan support - House Republicans just need to take it, according to press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre's statement on Friday.
Former Arizona Cardinal receiver Larry Fitzgerald now a member of Pitt Hall of Fame
Malaysian squash girls clinch team gold in Asian Games: They put on a classy display to wrest the team title by stunning reigning champions Hong Kong 2-1 in the ...
Former President Trump said late Thursday the Republican ...
Quick Glance: Trump urges RNC to fight election interference and Pennsylvania scam instead of hosting debates
- Trump calls on the RNC to stop hosting debates and focus on combating 'election interference and the Pennsylvania voter registration scam.'
- The debates should be ended as they are detrimental to the Republican Party!
- Trump referred to Chris Christie as a disaster and a Trump-obsessed lunatic.
Quick Glance: Trump fails to delay New York civil fraud trial
- Trump and his adult children will be called as witnesses.
- Judge Engoron ruled that Trump is liable for business fraud.
- The Trump Organization is accused of inflating the value of their properties.
- Trump's legal team attempted to delay the case.
Quick Glance: Michigan Football Cancels Historic Ohio State Game, Harbaugh's Future in Spotlight
- Due to a COVID-19 outbreak, the Michigan vs. Ohio State game is canceled after 103 years.
- Coach Jim Harbaugh and AD Warde Manuel face questions about Harbaugh's long-term future.
- Prospective recruits are concerned about Harbaugh's leadership.
- A decision on Harbaugh's retention should be made before potential replacements are hired.
Quick Glance: Judge Ends Conservatorship of Ex-NFL Player Michael Oher and Memphis Couple
- Former Titans Offensive Tackle Oher stands for the National Anthem.
- Oher signed the agreement at 18 while living with the couple as he was being recruited by colleges as a talented high school football player.
- Gomes expressed shock over the approval of such an agreement.
- Oher and Tuohys listened in via video conference call but did not speak.
Quick Glance: Sycamore Gap: Teenager arrested for felling Hadrian's Wall tree
- Tree felled at Sycamore Gap
- 16-year-old arrested for criminal damage
- Tree featured in Kevin Costner's film Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- National Trust shocked and saddened by loss of tree
The marker for Mexicantown and Tejano Music is the first of Michigan's 1,800 historic markers to directly recognize the contributions of Latinos.
Home: USA TODAY delivers current national and local news, sports, entertainment, finance, technology, and more through award-winning journalism, photos ...
Quick Glance: Robert Kennedy Jr. to Run as Independent in 2024 Elections
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr. announces he will run as an independent instead of challenging President Joe Biden for the Democratic nomination.
- His decision could complicate the 2024 elections.
- Kennedy criticizes corruption in both parties and plans a major announcement in Philadelphia.
Quick Glance: The 'Taylor Swift Effect' Boosts Football Spending
- The connection between Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce has fans excited for the Kansas City Chiefs vs New York Jets game.
- Swift's appearance in Kansas City has led to a surge in Jets ticket sales.
- Official NFL e-commerce partner Fanatics saw a nearly 400% increase in sales of Travis Kelce jerseys.
Quick Glance: Crawford leads Mariners to victory over Rangers, keeping playoff hopes alive
- Mariners win against Rangers, staying in the playoff race
- Crawford identified as potential captain of the Mariners
- Rangers have lead in AL West ahead of Houston and Seattle
- Crawford receives standing ovation after hitting a home run
Quick Glance: Crucial Moments Secure Collingwood an Epic Grand Final Win
- Collingwood prevails over Brisbane by four points in an epic grand final.
- These were the most significant moments of the game and will be remembered by all who witnessed it.
- Zac Bailey of the Brisbane Lions lit up the MCG with a brilliant snap from the left pocket, evading Collingwood defender Nathan Murphy.
- On the grand stage, young Magpie Hill flew high onto the shoulders of Lions defender Brandon Starcevich, juggling the mark and nailing his third goal for the day. It was his first goal in his fifth grand final and 383rd game.
The 29 euro ticket is coming back in 2024: The 29 euro ticket is coming back to Berlin. During the first half of 2024, passengers in the capital will again be ...
Ad Fontes Media17 +, 3 -
Ad Fontes Media, Inc. is a media watchdog organization based in Colorado that is best known for its Media Bias Chart, which ranks media sources based on political bias and reliability. We combine their ratings of individual articles and episodes to create a weighted average, with low-rated items increasingly weighted higher.
Reliability (Weighted Average)
- "Low Bias"
Bias (Weighted Average)
Media Bias/Fact Check17 +, 3 -
Media Bias/Fact Check (MBFC) is an American fact-checking website founded in 2015. It uses a 0-10 scale to rate sites on two areas: bias and factual accuracy. A source rated by MBFC with minimal bias gets 10 plus points. Maximum bias gets 10 minus points. The same principle applies to factual accuracy.
Wikipedia3 +, 1 -
Wikipedia's reliability was often criticized in the 2000s but has improved over time; in the late 2010s and early 2020s, it was universally praised. Any positive mention of a source in the extract of a Wikipedia page in terms of credibility and quality gets a plus point, and vice versa.
- "The Chicago Tribune is a daily newspaper based in Chicago,"
"but would publish in tabloid format for newsstand,"
Journalism Awards3 +
Journalism prizes are awards for excellent journalistic work in the period covered by the call for entries, which is usually one or two years. Sources receive one plus point for each journalistic award won that we track. We currently track up to three prestigious awards per country.
- "For a superb portrayal of a 10-year-old boy and his mother striving to put the boy’s life back together after he survived a shooting in Chicago."
- "For a piercing examination of the city’s long history of failed building- and fire-safety code enforcement, which let scofflaw landlords commit serious violations that resulted in dozens of unnecessary deaths."
- "For her wide range of down-to-earth columns that reflect the character and capture the culture of her famed city."
We primarily use fact-checkers affiliated with the International Fact-Checking Network (IFCN). We have linked to the International Fact-Checking Network fact-checkers' code of principles in the headline. For each failed fact-checker there is one minus point.
- There are no failed fact checks to date.
Press Council Rulings
Press councils are national institutions of media self-regulation. Press councils have their own defined press code. Reprimands are issued in the event of a violation of the press code (e.g. for truthfulness, diligence, sensationalism, separation of advertising and editorial, personal rights). For each reprimand issued by a national press council, a source receives one minus point.
- There have been no press council rulings against the source to date.
Most scientific publications, though not all, rely on some form of peer review or editorial review to qualify texts for publication. Sources mentioned in studies which rate media quality and/or reliability receive between 10 plus and 10 minus points.
- There are no evaluations of studies available to date.
Recommended for you