Is The Daily Beast a reliable source?
This is how independent third parties assess the credibility and media bias of this source.
The Daily Beast scores a total of 12 Plus Points and 32 Minus Points in our evaluation of journalistic quality.
This corresponds to a score of 31* resp. the grade E (poor).
*: (12 + 5 BP) * 100 / (12 + 5 BP + 32 + 5 BP)
The breakdown of the points follows below.
This corresponds to a score of 31* resp. the grade E (poor).
|very good||A+||> 89|
|A||89 - 84|
|A-||83 - 79|
|good||B+||78 - 74|
|B||73 - 69|
|B-||68 - 63|
|satisfactory||C+||62 - 58|
|C||57 - 53|
|C-||52 - 47|
|sufficient||D+||46 - 44|
|D||43 - 40|
|D-||39 - 37|
|poor||E+||36 - 33|
|E||32 - 30|
|E-||29 - 26|
The breakdown of the points follows below.
News from reputable sources that might interest you
Quick Glance: Trump found liable for fraud in New York civil lawsuit
- The court determined that the documents presented here contain fraudulent valuations that the defendants used in their business.
- Attorney General Letitia James filed a lawsuit against Mr. Trump last September, accusing him, his two adult sons, and the Trump Organization of lying about his net worth and asset values between 2011 and 2021.
- Mr. Trump previously denied any wrongdoing and dismissed the New York case as another politically motivated "witch hunt" brought by a biased prosecutor.
- As part of the Tuesday decision, the Trump Organization was instructed to cancel its business licenses in New York and propose independent monitors within 10 days to oversee the process.
It's done. Damian Lillard has been traded to the Milwaukee Bucks. ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reports that The Blazers are receiving Jrue Holiday ... Show more
Quick Glance: Trail Blazers trade Damian Lillard to the Milwaukee Bucks in unexpected move
- The Portland Trail Blazers traded Damian Lillard to the Milwaukee Bucks, causing a stir not only in the NBA but also in the sports world.
- The Bucks acquired Lillard, while Portland received Jrue Holiday, Deandre Ayton, Toumani Camara, an unprotected first-round Bucks pick in 2029, and an unprotected Bucks pick swap in 2028.
- The surprise is not that Lillard was traded - that was expected.
- The shock is that Lillard is going to Milwaukee, not the Miami Heat.
Quick Glance: Calls for Bob Menendez's Resignation
- Senator Bob Menendez to make first remarks following indictment
- Democratic senators call for Bob Menendez's resignation
- Many Democratic officials in New Jersey also call for Menendez's resignation
- Democratic Representative Andy Kim to challenge Menendez
Quick Glance: Kia and Hyundai recall 3.37 million US vehicles over fire risks
- Recall affects a total of about 1.7 million vehicles.
- Potential fire risk due to brake fluid leaks.
- Hyundai reports 21 fires and 21 other thermal incidents since 2017.
- Kia reports at least 10 confirmed fires and melting incidents.
Quick Glance: California governor raises taxes on guns to fund schools
- California will double taxes on guns and use the money for school security and violence prevention programs.
- The new law, signed by Governor Gavin Newsom, adds an additional 11% tax on guns and ammunition.
- California will be the only state with its own tax on guns and ammunition.
- Newsom, known as one of the country's most liberal governors, has often opposed tax increases, even for causes he supports like combating climate change.
Quick Glance: UAW to Strike Additional Auto Targets on Friday Without Progress - Source
- US President Joe Biden joins the United Auto Workers picket line in Belleville, Michigan.
- The United Auto Workers union plans to strike additional Detroit Three automotive facilities on Friday if there is no serious progress in labor negotiations, according to a source familiar with the talks.
- UAW President Shawn Fain plans to announce new targets at 10 a.m. ET Friday in online remarks, and workers would walk out of those sites at noon, the source said.
- The union historically selects one of the Detroit Three as the target for negotiations, setting the pattern for subsequent deals.
Susanne Daubner bringt auf Sendung gewöhnlich nichts aus der Ruhe. An diesem Morgen kommt der ...
Quick Glance: Sprecherin Daubner's Laughing Fit on ARD Morning Magazine
- Daubner bursts into laughter and can't stop for almost a minute.
- Daubner returns to the moderator team, who welcomes her with a remorseful gesture.
- Possibly, a blocker is preventing this due to your browser settings.
Quick Glance: Rising Oil Prices Drive US Drilling, Costs Increase - Dallas Fed
- Oil and gas activities in three key energy producing US states are increasing with the recent rise in energy prices.
- Survey shows optimism in the oil industry despite increased costs for oilfield services.
- Exploration activities are driving the increase, with the survey's business activity index rising to 10.9 in the third quarter.
- Cost inflation remains a factor, but rising oil prices may finally encourage more drilling.
Quick Glance: US Soldier Freed from North Korea
- North Korea to expel US soldier after unauthorized entry
- US soldier Travis King, entered North Korea without permission, in US custody in China and in good health
- North Korea expelled soldier two months after entering demilitarized zone (DMZ) between North and South Korea on July 18
- US thanks Sweden and China for support in facilitating release, emphasizes no deals or concessions to North Korea
President Joe Biden said on Wednesday that a government shutdown is not evitable, but that if there is one ...
Quick Glance: Biden: No Inevitable Government Shutdown
- Biden believes nothing is inevitable in politics.
- A government shutdown is possible if a budget deal is not reached.
- A government shutdown could impact important work in science and health.
- Biden calls on Republican friends in the House of Representatives to fund the government.
Quick Glance: UAW President Criticizes Trump's Loyalty to the 'Billionaire Class' Ahead of Visit
- UAW President Shawn Fain criticizes former President Trump, stating that he serves a 'billionaire class,' one day before Trump's visit to Detroit to speak with union members.
- Fain added, 'He serves a billionaire class, and that's the problem in this country.'
- Fain stated, 'All you have to do is look at his track record.'
- Fain said, 'And the ultimate proof of how much he cares about our workers was in 2019 when he was the president of the United States.'
Quick Glance: Rich Countries Import Solution to Nursing Shortages
- Investigation reveals international bidding wars for healthcare workers
- Exploitation of nurses and strain on poorer health systems
- AMN Healthcare reports 300% increase in foreign nurses placed in US hospitals
- Pandemic intensifies demand for Filipino nurses and triggers mass resignations
Wall Street is getting ready to move on from the Jeffrey Epstein saga. JPMorgan (JPM.N) just agreed to fork out ...
Quick Glance: Jeffrey Epstein leaves minimal impact on Wall Street
- Wall Street prepares to move on from the Jeffrey Epstein scandal.
- Some financiers linked to Epstein also face consequences.
- He reached a $63 million deal with the US Virgin Islands to avoid legal claims related to the investigations.
- On September 26, JPMorgan announced it has agreed in principle to pay $75 million to settle litigation with the US Virgin Islands over its former client Jeffrey Epstein, who died by suicide in jail in 2019 while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges.
Quick Glance: Paul Ryan warns Republicans about impending shutdown
- Internal conflicts within the House GOP have been occurring for weeks.
- Ryan, however, is uncertain if House Republicans will be able to accomplish it in time.
- Ryan served as Speaker of the House during the 2018 government shutdown, which lasted a record-breaking 35 days.
Quick Glance: Brazilian farm sector fights Supreme Court over indigenous land rights
- Brazil's agricultural lobby is challenging the Supreme Court's decision to restrict recognition of indigenous lands.
- The lobby is also supporting constitutional amendments to protect the rights of indigenous people to their ancestral lands.
- The offensive could deepen the divide between a conservative-led Congress and a Supreme Court criticized for judicial overreach.
- The lobby is confident it can gather enough votes to pass the desired legislation.
Quick Glance: US Senate Considers Cannabis Banking Reform, Industry Demands More
- A US Senate committee will vote on a bill to grant the legal cannabis industry access to banking.
- The disconnect between federal and state governments is concerning for the $13.2 billion legal marijuana industry.
- Meanwhile, 22 states have legalized cannabis for medical or recreational purposes.
- The CEO of the National Cannabis Industry Association expressed frustration with the ongoing discussions.
Quick Glance: SEC Chief: New California Law Could Transform SEC Climate Regulation
- A pending California law could impact federal regulators' approach to forthcoming climate regulations.
- SEC Chair Gary Gensler's testimony highlighted the potential for the California law to support the agency's efforts to regulate corporate climate disclosures.
- California Governor Gavin Newsom intends to sign legislation requiring large companies to disclose their carbon footprints.
- The bill addresses the complex issue of measuring and reporting Scope 3 emissions, which are linked to supply chains and end-users.
Quick Glance: Record Number of Migrants Heading to US Border
- Migrants cross the Rio Grande to continue their journey through Mexico to Eagle Pass, Texas, USA.
- An asylum seeker is attended by Red Cross medical personnel due to high temperatures while traveling from Nava to Piedras Negras, Coahuila state, Mexico, on the way to the US border.
- Asylum seekers cross the Rio Grande to finish their journey to Eagle Pass, Texas, USA.
- Migrants gather near the border wall after crossing the Rio Bravo river to turn themselves in to US Border Patrol agents and request asylum.
Colin Kaepernick, who hasn’t been on an NFL roster since 2017, formally requested that he join the New York ...
Quick Glance: Colin Kaepernick Requests to Join Jets' Practice Squad
- The former NFL quarterback provides multiple reasons why he would be a good fit for the Jets' practice squad following Aaron Rodgers' Achilles injury in Week 1 of the 2023 season.
- Unlike other veteran quarterbacks considered as possible options for the Jets, Kaepernick has not retired from the league despite not playing since 2016.
- Kaepernick's letter was shared on Instagram by J. Cole with permission from the quarterback, after the Jets signed another veteran quarterback, Trevor Siemian, to their practice squad on Tuesday.
Quick Glance: French Ambassador Departs Niger After Withdrawal Announcement
- Sylvain Itte, the French ambassador to Niger, has left the capital Niamey early Wednesday morning, according to the French presidency.
- Niger's military junta had ordered his expulsion soon after seizing power in a coup on July 26.
- France received EU support in refusing to bring back its ambassador.
- The decision sparked daily protests in front of the embassy and rallies across the capital with thousands demanding the withdrawal of French troops.
Quick Glance: Hollywood writers strike ends after guild leaders approve contract
- Hollywood's writers strike is declared over after union board members approve a contract agreement with studios.
- The writers still need to vote on the contract in October, but the strike will be lifted to allow them to work during the voting process.
- The writers were given the details of the contract for the first time after the board votes.
- SAG-AFTRA actors vote to potentially expand their strike to include the video game market.
Quick Glance: Canada's House speaker resigns over inviting a Nazi fighter to Parliament
- Canada's House speaker resigns for inviting an individual who fought for a Nazi military unit during World War II to Parliament to attend a speech by the Ukrainian president.
- After Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy delivered an address in the House of Commons, a standing ovation was given to 98-year-old Yaroslav Hunka when Speaker Anthony Rota highlighted his presence.
- Rota introduced Hunka as a war hero of the First Ukrainian Division.
- Rota stepped down after a meeting with the House of Commons' party leaders.
Quick Glance: Gritstone Bio secures $433 million US contract for COVID vaccine study
- Gritstone Bio secures a contract worth $433 million from the US government to conduct a mid-stage study of its self-amplifying mRNA COVID-19 vaccine candidate.
- The contract is part of Project NextGen, an initiative by the US Department of Health and Human Services to advance a pipeline of new, innovative vaccines and therapeutics for a more comprehensive and long-lasting protection against COVID-19 infection.
- The study compares the efficacy, safety, and immunogenicity of Gritstone's COVID-19 vaccine candidate with an approved vaccine.
- Gritstone plans to initiate the mid-stage study in the first quarter of the following year.
Quick Glance: Biden's dog bites again: Secret Service officer injured
- Biden's dog Commander injures another Secret Service officer.
- The dog has had multiple unpleasant encounters with the individuals who protect the White House.
- The President and First Lady express their gratitude to the Secret Service and Executive Residence staff for their efforts in safeguarding them, their family, and the nation.
- The White House is developing additional leash protocols and training for Commander.
Pava LaPere was the founder and CEO of EcoMap Technologies.
Quick Glance: Police search for suspect in Baltimore tech CEO's murder
- Baltimore police and U.S. marshals are searching for the man suspected of killing Pava LaPere, a 26-year-old tech executive.
- EcoMap Technologies, the company co-founded by LaPere, will hold a vigil in her honor at Baltimore's Washington Monument on Wednesday evening.
- Baltimore acting Police Commissioner Richard Worley announced an arrest warrant for Jason Billingsley, 32, of Baltimore, for first-degree murder, assault, reckless endangerment, and other charges.
- Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott described LaPere as a 'very young, talented, devoted Baltimorean' at the news conference, saying he had gotten to know her over the years.
Quick Glance: Moonlighting, Iconic '80s Series, Coming to Hulu Streaming
- Hulu will add all five seasons and 67 episodes of Glenn Gordon Caron's detective dramedy to its lineup.
- This marks the first time the show will be legally available to stream.
- The announcement comes a year after Caron convinced Disney to invest in making the show ready for streaming.
- Most of the original songs, including the theme song, have been cleared for streaming.
Quick Glance: Fire claims over 100 lives and injures 150 at Iraq wedding celebration
- A fire that spread through a hall hosting a Christian wedding in northern Iraq claimed the lives of at least 100 people and injured 150 others, authorities reported on Wednesday. The death toll is expected to rise.
- The fire occurred in Iraq's Nineveh province, in the Hamdaniya area, according to authorities.
- This area is predominantly Christian and located just outside the city of Mosul, approximately 335 kilometers (205 miles) northwest of the capital, Baghdad.
- Television footage showed flames engulfing the wedding hall as the fire rapidly spread.
Quick Glance: Nasa celebrates successful rescue mission: Asteroid sample reaches military base
- Capsule with most dangerous asteroid material safely landed in Utah desert
- Scientists hope samples will help explain the origin of life on Earth
- Contents of the capsule will be inspected under sterile conditions
- Researchers from around the world can request samples to support future generations
Quick Glance: Worldwide Theatrical Release for Taylor Swift's Eras Concert Film
- Taylor Swift announces worldwide screening of her documentary film from her billion-dollar Eras concert tour.
- The film titled 'Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour' will be shown in theaters worldwide on October 13th.
- Originally planned for North America only, the tour later expanded to include 78 international dates.
Quick Glance: OpenAI Plans Sale of Shares to Investors
- OpenAI is in talks with investors about selling existing shares at a higher valuation.
- The proposed deal could value OpenAI at $80 to $90 billion.
- OpenAI has already raised $300 million through share sales this year.
- Other startups like SpaceX have conducted private share sales to monetize their equity.
Quick Glance: Lawsuit Filed Against eBay for Sale of Harmful Products
- The U.S. government is suing eBay for violating environmental laws by allowing the sale of harmful products.
- EBay allowed the sale of over 343,011 illegal 'defeat' devices that bypass emissions controls.
- Additionally, over 23,000 unregistered pesticides were sold, violating a US Environmental Protection Agency order.
- EBay is defending itself against the lawsuit and removing over 99.9% of the cited products from its website.
Quick Glance: Bank of America CEO: Fed prevails against inflation for now
- Bank of America Chairman and CEO Brian Moynihan speaks before Senate committee on banking
- The Federal Reserve has emerged victorious in the battle against inflation for now
- Interest rates are expected to remain high for a longer period
- Moynihan was en route to Washington following his remarks in New York
Quick Glance: Mark Milley's Controversial Legacy as America's Top General
- Milley's conduct was unquestionably extraordinary in the final months and days of the Trump administration.
- Concerned about Trump's mental decline, Milley instructed senior operations officers not to take orders from anyone unless he was involved.
- Milley publicly apologized for creating a perception of the military involved in domestic politics.
- Republican lawmakers and former Trump administration officials accused him of undermining civilian control of the military.
Quick Glance: Former Microsoft product chief to lead Amazon's device business
- Panos Panay will head Amazon's unit responsible for Alexa and Echo.
- Panay, who led the creation of Microsoft's Surface line, joins Amazon in October.
- Amazon has stated that its devices and services business is not profitable.
- Workers in the hardware unit express concerns about morale and the success of upcoming devices.
Quick Glance: Proposals for three Alabama district maps to strengthen black voters' rights
- A court-appointed special master presented three proposals on Monday to enhance the black voting-age population in a newly configured district in Alabama.
- This is the latest development in a closely watched redistricting case with implications for control of the US House of Representatives in the upcoming elections.
- Two other plans for the district would result in a black population of 48.7% or 48.5%.
- All of these exceed the approximately 40% black population in the second district, which had been rejected by federal judges as improperly diluting black political power in this Deep South state.
Quick Glance: Google's 25-Year Journey from Dorm to Internet Dominance
- Over 25 years ago, two Stanford University students brainstormed in their dormitory and came up with the idea to create an internet search engine that would organize and rank web pages.
According to a judge, former US President Donald Trump intentionally ...
Case against ex-president
Quick Glance: Trump Faces Fraud Charges: New York Judge Holds Him Accountable
- Former US President Donald Trump suffered a major legal defeat.
- Judge Arthur Engoron ruled that Trump and his company can be held liable for fraud.
- Trump manipulated the value of his Trump Organization for years, committing fraud.
- Trump is accused of inflating his wealth by up to $3.6 billion to obtain loans more easily.
Quick Glance: Uber appoints Mahendra-Rajah as CFO
- Prashanth Mahendra-Rajah named as Uber's new finance chief
- Mahendra-Rajah will join Uber on November 13
- He replaces Nelson Chai, who announced his plan to step down in August
- Mahendra-Rajah brings extensive financial industry experience
Ad Fontes Media4 +, 16 -
Ad Fontes Media, Inc. is a media watchdog organization based in Colorado that is best known for its Media Bias Chart, which ranks media sources based on political bias and reliability. We combine their ratings of individual articles and episodes to create a weighted average, with low-rated items increasingly weighted higher.
Reliability (Weighted Average)
Bias (Weighted Average)
Media Bias/Fact Check7 +, 13 -
Media Bias/Fact Check (MBFC) is an American fact-checking website founded in 2015. It uses a 0-10 scale to rate sites on two areas: bias and factual accuracy. A source rated by MBFC with minimal bias gets 10 plus points. Maximum bias gets 10 minus points. The same principle applies to factual accuracy.
Fact Checkers3 -
We primarily use fact-checkers affiliated with the International Fact-Checking Network (IFCN). We have linked to the International Fact-Checking Network fact-checkers' code of principles in the headline. For each failed fact-checker there is one minus point.
Wikipedia's reliability was often criticized in the 2000s but has improved over time; in the late 2010s and early 2020s, it was universally praised. Any positive mention of a source in the extract of a Wikipedia page in terms of credibility and quality gets a plus point, and vice versa.
- "former editor-in-chief John Avlon described the Beast's editorial approach: "We seek out scoops,"
Journalism prizes are awards for excellent journalistic work in the period covered by the call for entries, which is usually one or two years. Sources receive one plus point for each journalistic award won that we track. We currently track up to three prestigious awards per country.
- There are no journalism awards won to date.
Press Council Rulings
Press councils are national institutions of media self-regulation. Press councils have their own defined press code. Reprimands are issued in the event of a violation of the press code (e.g. for truthfulness, diligence, sensationalism, separation of advertising and editorial, personal rights). For each reprimand issued by a national press council, a source receives one minus point.
- There have been no press council rulings against the source to date.
Most scientific publications, though not all, rely on some form of peer review or editorial review to qualify texts for publication. Sources mentioned in studies which rate media quality and/or reliability receive between 10 plus and 10 minus points.
- There are no evaluations of studies available to date.
Recommended for you