An agreement had been reached to extend the Israel-Hamas truce in Gaza by two additional days ...
Quick Glance: Israel Gaza: Release of 33 Palestinians
- Release of 33 individuals, totaling 150 Palestinians since Friday.
- Hamas releases 51 Israeli hostages, including three-year-old twin sisters.
- Little information released about the latest group of freed Palestinians.
- A bus carrying the newly released Palestinian prisoners has arrived in Ramallah.
The president is using Monday's event to announce 30 actions to improve ...
Quick Glance: Biden Criticizes Trump and GOP
- The president criticized Republicans and former President Trump for actions that could jeopardize the supply chain, including undoing his achievements and seeking to replace ObamaCare.
- The president announced 30 actions to improve access to medicine and economic data.
- The council is to strengthen the supply chain during the 2023 holiday season, following significant issues during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Biden referenced a Truth Social post from Trump in the meeting, in which the former president revived calls to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act if he wins the 2024 election.
Merriam-Webster Dictionary's word of the year is the genuine article. "Authentic," defined as "not false or imitation ... Show more
Quick Glance: Genuine: Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year
- The word "Genuine" was named the top word of 2023 by Merriam-Webster.
- There was a significant increase in online searches for the term.
- Interest was driven by stories and discussions about AI, celebrities, identity, and social media.
- The word has multiple meanings, including "not false or imitation" and also "true to one's own personality, spirit, or character".
Quick Glance: Prominent Guests to Attend Rosalynn Carter's Memorial Service
- Former President Jimmy Carter plans to attend the memorial service for his late wife, Rosalynn Carter, in Atlanta.
- All living former First Ladies, including Jill Biden, Hillary Clinton, Laura Bush, Michelle Obama, and Melania Trump, are also expected to attend.
- President Donald Trump is not expected to attend the service.
- Rosalynn Carter passed away peacefully at her home in Plains, Georgia, at the age of 96 after being moved to home hospice care.
Quick Glance: Shooting of Palestinian College Students in Vermont
- The victims were found near the University of Vermont campus and transported to the hospital.
- Two victims are US citizens and one is a legal resident.
- A white man shot the students without speaking and then fled.
- The victims were wearing traditional Palestinian scarves and were shot in different areas.
Quick Glance: China, Japan, South Korea Enhance Trilateral Cooperation
- The foreign ministers of China, Japan, and South Korea agreed to restart cooperation and pave the way for a summit of their three leaders.
- The three diplomats met in Busan, South Korea, to advance cooperation in six areas and promote concrete discussions to prepare for the summit.
- The ministers condemned North Korea's launch of its first spy satellite and agreed to boost responses to arms deals between Pyongyang and Moscow.
- South Korea's foreign minister emphasized the need to institutionalize trilateral cooperation to develop a stable and sustainable system.
Quick Glance: Sam Altman: The Indispensable
- Altman brought ChatGPT to the world.
- His ability to win people over is remarkable.
- Colleagues at Open AI did not take it lying down.
- In the end, Altman was supposed to emerge as the shining victor of the saga.
Quick Glance: Poland's President Swears in Government for Up to 14 Days
- President Andrzej Duda swore in Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki after October elections.
- According to the constitution, Morawiecki and his Cabinet have 14 days to face a vote of confidence in parliament.
- They are almost certain to lose the vote due to lack of coalition partners.
- Critics denounce the decision to appoint a government with no apparent chance at winning parliamentary backing as a hopeless act of political theater.
Quick Glance: Sierra Leone Imposes Nationwide Curfew After Attack on Freetown Army Barracks
- Government asserts full control of security in Freetown after military base attack
- Attackers reported retreating, security forces maintain checkpoints in capital
- Gunfire in Freetown, security forces push attackers to outskirts of city
- President vows to protect stability and democracy in Sierra Leone
Quick Glance: Pope Francis cancels engagements due to 'mild flu' and undergoes hospital tests
- Pope Francis has canceled his scheduled engagements due to mild flu, according to the Vatican.
- The 86-year-old pontiff, who is missing part of one lung, went to the hospital for tests, but the results ruled out breathing problems.
- Last year he hinted that he may resign if his health continued to deteriorate.
Quick Glance: Rep. Santos Expects Congress Expulsion
- Rep. George Santos anticipates expulsion from Congress following a House Ethics Committee report.
- Santos defiantly stated he won't resign, but acknowledged his time as a member may soon end.
- House Ethics Committee Chair Michael Guest introduced a resolution to expel Santos after Thanksgiving break.
- Many colleagues who previously opposed expulsion now support it, citing the committee's investigation into alleged misconduct by Santos.
Quick Glance: Russia Launches Massive Drone Attack on Kyiv
- Russia launched its largest drone attack on Kyiv since the start of the invasion, targeting the capital, according to Ukrainian officials.
- The primary target was Kyiv, described as a 'record number' of drones by Ukraine’s Air Force in a Telegram post.
- Mykhailo Shamanov described multiple waves of drones coming from different directions towards the capital.
- At least two people were injured in Kyiv’s Solomianskyi district, according to Mayor Vitalii Klitschko.
Quick Glance: Geert Wilders and the Dutch Election Impact
- The rise of hard-right parties in the political landscape
- Geert Wilders's victory in the Dutch election on November 22nd has received praise from across Europe, particularly from right-wing political groups.
- Mr. Wilders's presence poses a challenge for the EU, accustomed to navigating differences between centrist parties of the left and right.
- The likelihood of further success for hard-right parties in upcoming elections is high.
Quick Glance: Ex-Officer Derek Chauvin Stabbed in Prison: Report
- Derek Chauvin, former Minneapolis police officer, was stabbed by another inmate and seriously injured.
- The attack occurred at the Federal Correctional Institution, Tucson, plagued by security lapses and staffing shortages.
- The Bureau of Prisons confirmed the assault on Friday at 12:30 p.m. local time.
- This is the second high-profile attack on a federal prisoner in the last five months and the second major incident at the prison in a little over a year.
Authorities on Friday identified those missing or killed in a southeast Alaska ...
Quick Glance: Tragic Incident: Family and Neighbor Affected by Landslide
- A landslide in southeast Alaska resulted in the deaths of five family members and their neighbor, who ran for the state’s House seat last year.
- The parents and three children were struck by the landslide at home, while search crews found the bodies of the parents and the oldest child.
- Neighbor Otto Florschutz remains missing, and the younger children have not been found.
- The landslide tore a path of evergreen trees from the mountain top to the ocean, hitting three homes and burying a highway.
Quick Glance: Black Friday Disappoints UK Shoppers
- Sales in cash terms are expected to be on a par with 2022, but prices are higher due to inflation, meaning fewer items will be sold.
- Online activity was flat and footfall at shopping destinations was down by more than 5%.
- Black Friday is no longer a single-day event, but now starts in November and runs for several weeks.
- Some retailers saw a slight uplift, but sales are only expected to increase by 0.4% over last year, according to analysis by GlobalData for Vouchercodes.co.uk.
Quick Glance: Dean Phillips Opts Out of Congressional Reelection in 2024: 'Time for a New Generation'
- Democrat Dean Phillips is challenging President Joe Biden in the 2024 primary and is heeding his own advice to pass the torch.
- The 54-year-old Phillips will not seek reelection to the U.S. House and is opening up his congressional seat.
- Phillips is urging Biden to also forgo seeking reelection as both parties vie for control of Congress.
- As one of about a dozen lawmakers not seeking reelection next year, Phillips becomes part of the contest for congressional control.
Quick Glance: Oscar Pistorius Seeks Parole Again
- Oscar Pistorius, former South African Paralympic star, was jailed in 2014 for the murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp and has a chance for early release now.
- A spokesperson for the South African Department of Justice said a parole board will review Pistorius' case at a hearing on Friday to decide whether he should be released on parole.
- Pistorius' lawyer Conrad Dormehl told Reuters the hearing will take place at the Atteridgeville Correctional Centre near the capital Pretoria but declined to comment on their expectations from the hearing.
Quick Glance: Chaos in Dublin: Deliveroo Driver Turns Hero
- Cleanup after train fire in Dublin
- Driver thwarts knife attack in Dublin
- Report from BBC News NI political editor in Dublin
- Inspection of damaged tram in Dublin
New to NewsWall?
Sign up now to get your own personalized news!