Quick Glance: Dianne Feinstein, California Senator and Pioneer of Liberal Priorities, Dies at 90
- California Senator Dianne Feinstein, a moderate Democrat and advocate for liberal causes, has passed away at the age of 90.
- Feinstein was a trailblazer and champion in local and national politics.
- President Joe Biden described her as a pioneering American and a cherished friend.
- Feinstein's bipartisan efforts led to legislative wins throughout her career.
Quick Glance: Donald Trump held accountable for fraud in New York civil case
- Engoron also ordered the cancellation of certificates that allowed some of Trump's businesses, including the Trump Organization, to operate in New York, and appointed a receiver to manage the businesses' dissolution.
- The judge described how Trump, his adult sons Donald Jr. and Eric, the Trump Organization, and other defendants fabricated valuations and inflated Trump's net worth to meet their business needs.
- Christopher Kise, a lawyer representing Trump, stated, 'Today's scandalous decision is completely detached from the facts and the applicable law.'
- James expressed anticipation in presenting the remaining aspects of her case in court.
Quick Glance: US CFTC Orders 3 Major US Banks to Pay Over $50 Million for Swap Reporting Failures
- Goldman Sachs, Bank of America, and JPMorgan fined over $50 million
- Penalties for violating swap reporting obligations and other violations
- Reduced monetary penalties due to banks' cooperation with regulators
Bud Light boycott movement goes after Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce: The Kansas City Chiefs tight end has become a popular spokesperson who has endorsed both Bud ...
Quick Glance: Citigroup CEO: No Room for Bystanders in Reorganization
- Fraser confirms top employees are on board with the sweeping reorganization.
- The company will provide an update on estimated savings in the fourth quarter.
- Sources suggest that employees in compliance and risk management are most likely to be affected by layoffs.
- Fraser emphasizes the bank's ability to manage a potential recession.
Quick Glance: Netflix Stops Sending DVDs
- Netflix launched as a DVD mailing service 25 years ago
- Less than 1 million subscribers still use the DVD service
- Customers are allowed to keep their DVDs
- Netflix has become the leading streaming service
Quick Glance: Arrest Made in 1996 Tupac Shakur Murder
- Breaking news photo
- Tupac Shakur, the hip-hop legend, was shot four times in a drive-by shooting in Las Vegas in 1996.
- This news is constantly updated and more details will be released soon.
Quick Glance: Danger for Migrants at Mexico Border: Increase in Sexual Assaults
- Experts say the high risk of kidnapping and sexual assault in Reynosa and Matamoros is driving migrants to cross the border illegally.
- Many asylum seekers are no longer paying smugglers to cross the border. Instead, they are traveling on their own, hoping to make an appointment through an app.
- However, criminal groups are still demanding payment from these migrants to enter their territory.
- Rape is used as a form of torture to extort money, according to Bertha Bermúdez Tapia, a sociologist at New Mexico State University researching the impacts of Biden's policy on migrants in Tamaulipas.
Quick Glance: US agency sues Tesla over alleged harassment of black factory workers
- A U.S. civil rights agency has sued Tesla Inc, claiming the electric carmaker has tolerated severe harassment of black employees at its Fremont, California, assembly plant.
- Tesla has failed to investigate complaints of racist conduct and has retaliated against workers who reported harassment, according to the lawsuit.
- The California Civil Rights Department alleges that Tesla discriminated against black workers in pay, promotions, and work assignments.
- Tesla is also facing a class action lawsuit in California state court over the alleged mistreatment of black factory workers, with about 240 workers joining.
Quick Glance: North Texas federal employees prepare for upcoming government shutdown
- Federal employees in North Texas seeking assistance from local food banks and community centers.
- A shutdown is unnecessary and avoidable, hopefully it doesn't happen.
- Sen. Patty Murray blocked the proposal but argued for continued pay for all federal workers.
- Ted Cruz would pause his paychecks in the event of a shutdown.
Quick Glance: Sealion Escapes: New York Submerged in Rain Floods
- Torrential rain floods parts of New York
- Stay at home if you don't need to go out
- Metropolitan Museum closes early due to the bad weather
Quick Glance: Trump fails to delay New York civil fraud trial
- Trump and his adult children will be called as witnesses.
- Judge Engoron ruled that Trump is liable for business fraud.
- The Trump Organization is accused of inflating the value of their properties.
- Trump's legal team attempted to delay the case.
Quick Glance: GE faces shareholder lawsuit over accounting and disclosures; judge urges settlement
- General Electric (GE.N) failed to convince a federal judge in Manhattan to dismiss a long-running shareholder lawsuit accusing the company of concealing risks in its power business.
- U.S. District Judge Jesse Furman encouraged both sides to reach a settlement on Thursday.
- Shareholders, led by two pension funds, claimed that the power unit became increasingly reliant on factoring to boost reported revenue at the expense of future cash flows.
- In a 47-page decision, Furman stated that the evidence showed a 'clear awareness' among management that the use of factoring at GE Power was contributing to a cash flow problem.
Quick Glance: SEC fines Citigroup, former unit for customer disclosures
- Citigroup and a former unit were fined $1.975 million by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- The fine was imposed for Citigroup making securities recommendations to retail customers without complying with disclosure obligations.
Quick Glance: Ogilvy Celebrates 75 Years with a Special Anniversary
- In September 1948, David Ogilvy founded Ogilvy in New York.
- The company has expanded to 131 offices in 93 countries over the years.
- For its 75th anniversary, Ogilvy organized a series of events to bring together talent and clients from the past and present.
- A film was even produced to celebrate the anniversary.
Quick Glance: Sea Lion Escapes Flooded Enclosure at Central Park Zoo, Swims to Freedom in Heavy Rain
- A sea lion experienced a taste of freedom - and murky brown floodwaters - when heavy rain flooded the sea lion pool at Central Park Zoo on Friday.
- The zoo was closed on Friday due to inclement weather - but the adventurous sea lion swam outside her enclosure as several inches of rain overwhelmed the plaza around the pool.
- The Wildlife Conservation Society oversees the Central Park Zoo, as well as the Bronx Zoo, Prospect Park Zoo, Queens Zoo, and the New York Aquarium.
- Central Park received nearly 6 inches of rain on Friday, according to the National Weather Service - levels not seen since Hurricane Ida in 2021.
Quick Glance: Jeffrey Epstein leaves minimal impact on Wall Street
- Wall Street prepares to move on from the Jeffrey Epstein scandal.
- Some financiers linked to Epstein also face consequences.
- He reached a $63 million deal with the US Virgin Islands to avoid legal claims related to the investigations.
- On September 26, JPMorgan announced it has agreed in principle to pay $75 million to settle litigation with the US Virgin Islands over its former client Jeffrey Epstein, who died by suicide in jail in 2019 while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges.
EquiLend Holdings LLC, the securities lending platform owned by 10 of ...
Quick Glance: Exclusive: EquiLend Stock Lending Platform for Sale After Collusion Settlement, Sources Say
- EquiLend Holdings LLC, the securities lending platform owned by 10 of the biggest Wall Street firms, including Goldman Sachs Group Inc and BlackRock Inc, is considering a sale following the resolution of a major collusion lawsuit, according to informed individuals.
- The company is collaborating with investment bank Broadhaven Capital Partners on an auction process that is expected to attract interest from exchange operators, financial technology providers, and private equity firms, sources said.
- One source added that EquiLend could potentially fetch around $700 million in a sale.
- EquiLend and Broadhaven did not respond to requests for comments.
Quick Glance: Wall Street Ends Higher Ahead of Inflation Report
- Solid growth in the US economy during Q2
- Investors await latest information on inflation in personal consumption expenditures price index
In an exclusive excerpt from his memoir 'Making It So,' the actor reveals the finale scene ...
Patrick Stewart: How Star Trek
Quick Glance: Boeing, Taxpayers Could Pay $1 Billion for Duwamish River Cleanup in Seattle
- The waterway is among the nation's most contaminated.
- Boeing is negotiating the cost split with other landowners.
- A public health warning is issued for fish consumption in the polluted river.
- The cleanup aims to avoid triggering the Superfund process.
Recommended for you