Quick Glance: GM and Ford CEOs Clash with UAW as Union Expands Strikes
- GM and Ford CEOs criticize United Auto Workers (UAW) as the union escalates the strike.
- UAW chief Shawn Fain responds by expanding the strike against the Detroit Three.
- Fain orders walk-offs at Ford's Chicago assembly plant and GM's Lansing, Michigan, assembly plant.
- Ford is reconsidering the size and scope of the $3.5 billion Marshall battery plant due to uncertainty over labor costs.
Quick Glance: Biden and Trump compete for the favor of workers in Michigan
- President Biden and former President Trump emphasize the importance of the working class in Michigan.
- Trump won the battleground states of Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania in 2016, which Biden reclaimed in 2020.
- Biden won the union vote in Michigan with 62% in 2020.
- In 2012, Obama won nonwhite working-class voters by a large margin.
Quick Glance: Trump pretends to support workers amid UAW strike
- The former president is undeniably trying to impress Michigan workers.
- Trump repeatedly boasted about his extensive infrastructure plans, promoting one infrastructure week after another.
- Trump successfully passed a significant legislation: $1.5 trillion in tax cuts that primarily benefited the wealthy and corporations, while providing minimal benefits to workers like the UAW members on strike.
- When it comes to unions, Trump doesn't genuinely support them - what he supports is union members supporting him.
Auto workers are on strike at General Motors, Ford and Stellantis ...
UAW strike Day 4
Quick Glance: UAW resumes talks with Stellantis, Chrysler's parent company
- The United Auto Workers and Stellantis have resumed their negotiations as the strike against the Detroit Three automakers enters its fourth day.
- Analysts and industry representatives are questioning how long it will take for the UAW to strike at additional locations to increase pressure on the automakers.
- The strikes have halted production at plants in Michigan, Ohio, and Missouri that manufacture the Ford Bronco, Jeep Wrangler, Chevrolet Colorado, and other popular models.
- Ford has temporarily laid off 600 non-striking workers at the Michigan Bronco plant due to the impact of the work stoppage.
Quick Glance: Michigan Football Cancels Historic Ohio State Game, Harbaugh's Future in Spotlight
- Due to a COVID-19 outbreak, the Michigan vs. Ohio State game is canceled after 103 years.
- Coach Jim Harbaugh and AD Warde Manuel face questions about Harbaugh's long-term future.
- Prospective recruits are concerned about Harbaugh's leadership.
- A decision on Harbaugh's retention should be made before potential replacements are hired.
Quick Glance: Ford halts construction of $3.5B battery plant in Michigan
- Ford announces partnership with Chinese company Amperex Technology to build a battery plant for electric vehicles in Marshall, Michigan.
- Despite raising its offer to the union, Ford has been unable to secure a deal in contract talks.
- Ford is pausing work on the Marshall project and limiting spending until the plant's competitiveness is ensured.
- Ford plans to quadruple sales of hybrid vehicles over the next five years.
The marker for Mexicantown and Tejano Music is the first of Michigan's 1,800 historic markers to directly recognize the contributions of Latinos.
A fugitive who escaped from a Pennsylvania prison just days after being sentenced to life without parole in the fatal stabbing of his ex-girlfriend was ... Show more
Quick Glance: Captured US Jail Fugitive Planned Escape to Canada
- Cavalcante on the ground after being caught
- Cavalcante was captured early on Wednesday before he could flee to Canada
- The 34-year-old, convicted of killing his ex-girlfriend, reportedly told law enforcement he planned to carjack someone and head north.
- He also reportedly said that some of the 500 officers searching for him came so close at times that they almost stepped on him.
Quick Glance: Trump disappoints union leaders despite promises for workers
- Union leaders say Trump's record speaks for itself
- Union members support Biden more than Trump
- Trump attempts to prevent union dues
- Trump has abandoned some communities that supported him
Quick Glance: Bernie Sanders' Four-Day Week Proposal Holds Merit
- Senator Bernie Sanders supports the demand for a four-day workweek with five-day pay.
- The auto industry has seen a decline in real wages and excessive working hours.
- Sanders joins a 100-year-old battle, advocating for a better work-life balance.
- With the threat of automation, more workers may align with Sanders' perspective.
Jace Jung's move to third base is dramatic for its potential influence on Detroit's big-league roster as early as Opening Day next season.
Factory workers carried picket signs outside Ford's Michigan Assembly Plant, hugging each other, laughing, chanting and even dancing on Michigan Ave.
Recommended for you