The marker for Mexicantown and Tejano Music is the first of Michigan's 1,800 historic markers to directly recognize the contributions of Latinos.
Home: USA TODAY delivers current national and local news, sports, entertainment, finance, technology, and more through award-winning journalism, photos ...
Quick Glance: Republicans initiate Biden impeachment inquiry over son's business dealings
- Republicans hold first hearing on impeachment inquiry, revealing foreign payments to Biden family members but no evidence of personal benefit to the president.
- Hearing reviews Republican evidence of Hunter Biden's foreign business ventures, alleging that Biden's family sold access.
- Biden accused of lying about family's business dealings and failing to separate them from his official duties.
- Republicans claim Biden and his family profited from policies pursued during Obama administration.
Quick Glance: Putin meets Ex-Wagner commander Andrei Troshev
- Troshev was a former aide of deceased Wagner chief Yevgeny Prigozhin.
- He passed away after a brief march of Wagner troops on Moscow.
- President Putin assigned Mr Troshev to lead volunteer units in Ukraine.
- Mr Troshev now works in the defense ministry, according to Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov.
Quick Glance: North Texas federal employees prepare for upcoming government shutdown
- Federal employees in North Texas seeking assistance from local food banks and community centers.
- A shutdown is unnecessary and avoidable, hopefully it doesn't happen.
- Sen. Patty Murray blocked the proposal but argued for continued pay for all federal workers.
- Ted Cruz would pause his paychecks in the event of a shutdown.
Quick Glance: Biden warns: 'MAGA' movement threatens American democracy
- President Biden warns of the threat to American democracy posed by Trump and the 'MAGA' movement.
- Biden highlights the distinction between himself and his likely opponent in the 2024 elections.
- The president emphasizes the importance of the Constitution as the defining feature of democracy.
- Biden acknowledges that the Republican Party is influenced by extreme 'MAGA' Republicans.
Quick Glance: First Abrams tanks already in Ukraine - Zelenskyy
- Sources in the US Department of Defense report that the first US Abrams tanks have been delivered to Ukraine earlier than expected.
- The exact number of tanks delivered so far has not been specified.
- Initially, 10 tanks were planned to be sent to Ukraine.
- The M1 Abrams will join other tanks in Ukraine's arsenal and potentially contribute to the liberation of Russian-held territory in the eastern and southern regions.
Quick Glance: Canada's House speaker resigns over inviting a Nazi fighter to Parliament
- Canada's House speaker resigns for inviting an individual who fought for a Nazi military unit during World War II to Parliament to attend a speech by the Ukrainian president.
- After Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy delivered an address in the House of Commons, a standing ovation was given to 98-year-old Yaroslav Hunka when Speaker Anthony Rota highlighted his presence.
- Rota introduced Hunka as a war hero of the First Ukrainian Division.
- Rota stepped down after a meeting with the House of Commons' party leaders.
Quick Glance: Ukraine reclaiming ground gradually, according to NATO chief
- Stoltenberg consistently advocates for increased support and faster delivery of air defense systems for Ukraine.
- NATO has framework contracts valued at 2.4 billion euros ($2.53 billion) for ammunition, including 1 billion euros in confirmed orders.
- Stoltenberg also condemned Russian attacks near the border of Ukraine and NATO member Romania.
Quick Glance: Paul Ryan warns Republicans about impending shutdown
- Internal conflicts within the House GOP have been occurring for weeks.
- Ryan, however, is uncertain if House Republicans will be able to accomplish it in time.
- Ryan served as Speaker of the House during the 2018 government shutdown, which lasted a record-breaking 35 days.
Quick Glance: US to Provide Long-Range ATACMS Missiles to Kyiv - Media Reports
- According to media reports, Ukraine will receive ATACMS missiles with a range of up to 300 km.
- This would allow Kyiv to target Russian positions deep behind the front line.
- President Biden reportedly informed Ukrainian President Zelensky that Kyiv would receive 'a small number' of ATACMS missiles.
- The US and Ukraine have not officially confirmed the American media reports.
Quick Glance: Senate Confirms Joint Chiefs Chairman as Tuberville Blocks Military Nominees
- Brown's confirmation on an 83-11 vote follows President Joe Biden's nomination for the position.
- Tuberville continues to block routine approval of military nominations, frustrating Democrats.
- Austin welcomes Brown as a 'tremendous leader,' replacing Army Gen. Mark Milley as Joint Chiefs Chairman.
- Tuberville holds up additional nominations until the Pentagon changes its policy on funding travel for abortions and reproductive care.
Quick Glance: Radical Republicans Threaten to Paralyze Washington
- Trump loyalists in Congress have pushed the US federal government to the brink of paralysis.
- A 36-year-old former restaurateur gained notoriety by bringing a gun into Congress to assert her constitutional right to bear arms.
- Along with a dozen or so lesser-known Republicans in the House of Representatives - mostly staunch conservatives with hardline views on immigration and federal spending - these are the people willing to bring America to the brink of another budgetary crisis by halting funding for the government of the world's largest economy.
- The rebels are the modern equivalents of the Tea Party conservatives who caused several budgetary crises under Barack Obama, including a 16-day government shutdown in October 2013.
UEFA decided on Tuesday to readmit Russian youth teams. In addition to Ukraine, England ...
If Russia takes part
Quick Glance: Ukraine boycotts UEFA competitions if Russia participates
- England, Denmark, Sweden, and Poland announce teams won't play against Russian teams
- English and Swedish associations reject Russian teams
- UEFA allows Russian youth teams despite ongoing attack on Ukraine
Quick Glance: Ukraine breaks through final Russian defense line
- Clarity emerges behind the attack on the headquarters of the Russian Black Sea Fleet in Sevastopol.
- The USA promises Ukraine a limited number of ATACMS missiles.
- Recent events in the war against Ukraine.
- Ukraine breaks through the final Russian defense line in Zaporizhia.
On "Anne Will," Sahra Wagenknecht is haunted by an old ...
"Anne Will" talk on the war in Ukraine
Quick Glance: Anne Will: Guests and Topic on 17.9.
- Guests discuss the Ukraine war
- Questions about continued US support for Ukraine
- Debate on delivering cruise missiles to Ukraine
- Topic: What leads to peace?
Quick Glance: White House prepares for government shutdown as House Republicans lack a viable plan
- Speaker Kevin McCarthy announces that the House will start voting on the latest plan next week.
- The White House is preparing to direct federal agencies to get ready for a shutdown after House Republicans left without a realistic plan to fund the government and avoid disruptive consequences.
- A federal shutdown after September 30 appears likely unless Speaker Kevin McCarthy can convince his rebellious, right-wing faction to approve a temporary funding measure to prevent closures during ongoing talks.
- The standoff with House Republicans over government funding jeopardizes various activities, including military and law enforcement personnel pay, food safety and aid programs, air travel, and passport processing, potentially causing havoc in the US economy.
Quick Glance: Outrage over Merz's Accusations against rejected Asylum Seekers
- CDU leader fuels division with false statements
- Merz faces sharp criticism beyond the talk show
The alarm is ringing in two Romanian border towns. Residents should go ...
Alarm messages in the border region
Quick Glance: Romania Reports Violation of Airspace by Russian Drones
- Residents of Tulcea and Galati near the Ukrainian border received alarm messages
- Galati and Tulcea are located on the opposite bank of the Danube from Reni
- Alarm for Tulcea and Galati lifted after two hours
- Romania started building air-raid shelters on the Ukrainian border after finding drone debris
Republican presidential contender Nikki Haley, the former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations ...
Quick Glance: Nikki Haley: Republican Presidential Contender in 2024?
- Haley, 51, is a respected conservative in the Republican Party who can credibly address questions about gender and race.
- She held leadership positions in various business organizations before winning a seat in the South Carolina state legislature in 2004.
- Elected governor of South Carolina, she was the first woman to hold that position in the southern part of the country and the second person of Indian descent to serve as a governor in the United States.
- She also appointed Tim Scott, a current competitor in the Republican presidential primary, to the U.S. Senate in 2012.
Quick Glance: Dianne Feinstein, California Senator and Pioneer of Liberal Priorities, Dies at 90
- California Senator Dianne Feinstein, a moderate Democrat and advocate for liberal causes, has passed away at the age of 90.
- Feinstein was a trailblazer and champion in local and national politics.
- President Joe Biden described her as a pioneering American and a cherished friend.
- Feinstein's bipartisan efforts led to legislative wins throughout her career.
Quick Glance: Russian Black Sea Fleet Commander Killed; No Comment from Moscow
- Commander of the Russian Black Sea Fleet, Vice-Admiral Viktor Sokolov, killed in an attack in Sevastopol.
- Ukrainian special forces also killed 33 other officers.
- The exact number of casualties is still unclear.
- The Russian defense ministry states that one soldier is missing and was not killed.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy told 60 Minutes correspondent Scott Pelley the world must unite against Russian President Vladimir Putin ... Show more
Quick Glance: Zelenskyy warns of Putin and impending World War III
- Zelenskyy warns that Putin could cause World War III if not stopped in Ukraine.
- Zelenskyy says Putin is counting on U.S. instability during the 2024 election.
- Zelenskyy says drone strikes will continue if Russia keeps attacking infrastructure.
Russia is attacking the Ukrainian port city of Odessa with drones, rockets and cruise ...
Massive Russian air strike
Quick Glance: Massive Russian Air Strike: Significant Damage Reported in Odessa Port
- The Kempinski Odessa Hotel was heavily damaged according to Ukrainian reports.
- Russia attacked the southern Ukrainian port city of Odessa with drones and missiles.
- Ukrainian defense forces shot down 19 drones and 13 Caliber cruise missiles, 11 of which were in the Odessa region.
- A civilian was injured in Odessa.
NZZ news, background information, opinions from Switzerland, international, sport, digital, business, car & more ...
Quick Glance: Switzerland: Latest News
- Switzerland to be fully supplied from mandatory reserves for three to four months due to severe scarcity.
- The Federal Council intends to take action in case of miscalculated Covid tests.
- Covid-19 was the third leading cause of death in 2021.
- Cardiovascular diseases, cancer, and Covid were the most common causes of death in Switzerland in 2021.
Russia celebrates one year of annexation - and attacks western Ukraine with drones ...
War against Ukraine
Quick Glance: Kiev Plans Own Air Defense Systems
- Russia attacks western Ukraine with drones.
- Strack-Zimmermann demands immediate delivery of Taurus cruise missiles.
- Ukraine is developing new air defense systems due to outdated and scarce ammunition.
- Protection of Ukrainian cities improved with the acquisition of new weapons.
Quick Glance: Kari Lake to Launch Campaign for Contested U.S. Seat in Arizona
- Republican Kari Lake, an ally of Trump and election denier, will soon announce her campaign for the U.S. Senate seat held by Kyrsten Sinema.
- The Arizona race is a key target for Republicans aiming to regain the Senate majority.
- Lake will compete against Pinal County Sheriff Mark Lamb in the Republican primary.
- Other potential Republican candidates have held off from entering the race while Lake considered her plans.
Russia is using the feared Ka-52 attack helicopters less and less as Ukraine becomes increasingly effective at eliminating them, the ISW says in its new report.
Shutdown droht in den USA: Sprecher des Repräsentantenhauses will Aussetzung der Ukraine-Hilfe
En el terreno en parte masivamente minado del sur de Ucrania, a Ucrania le está costando ...
En total llegarán 31
Quick Glance: First Abrams tanks arrive in Ukraine
- Abrams M1 will soon be deployed on the Ukrainian front.
- Ukraine faces challenges in liberating heavily mined areas in the south.
- US Abrams tanks expected to boost the counteroffensive.
- President Selenskyj announces arrival of first Abrams tanks.
Quick Glance: US General Milley Criticizes Trump Upon Retirement
- US General Mark Milley retires after a four-year tenure.
- Milley emphasizes that US troops take an oath to the Constitution and not to a 'wannabe dictator'.
- Milley made the statement during a ceremony at Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall near Washington.
- Milley handed over command to General Charles Q. Austin.
Recommended for you