The rights and wrongs of Israel and Hamas at al-Shifa hospital: Why Israel must meet and exceed the requirements of the laws of war
Quick Glance: Israel-Hamas Conflict: Legitimacy at al-Shifa Hospital
- Necessity for Israel to meet and exceed the requirements of the laws of war
- The tragic crisis at al-Shifa hospital in northern Gaza is a microcosm of the terrible trade-offs of Hamas atrocities and Israel's invasion in Gaza.
- Some critics claim that any military activity near the hospital is a war crime, as civilians could be killed.
- In fact, the likely use of the hospital by Hamas as a military facility has likely turned it into a legitimate military target.
Quick Glance: France Issues Arrest Warrants for Syrian President Assad and 3 Generals Over War Crimes
- International arrest warrants were issued for President Assad, his brother, and two generals for war crimes and crimes against humanity.
- The warrants relate to a 2013 chemical attack on rebel-held suburbs of Damascus.
- A victim of the attack welcomed the move and urged countries where Assad might travel to arrest him.
- The investigation into the chemical attacks in Douma and Eastern Ghouta was conducted under universal jurisdiction in France.
Quick Glance: International Arrest Warrants Issued for Assad by France
- France has issued international arrest warrants for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad due to the use of banned chemical weapons.
- This marks the first warrant for the Syrian head of state, whose forces responded to 2011 protests with a brutal crackdown.
- Warrants were also issued for Assad's brother and two Syrian generals for crimes against humanity and war crimes.
- The warrants follow a criminal investigation into chemical weapons attacks in Douma and Eastern Ghouta, resulting in over 1,000 fatalities.
Quick Glance: Can Justice Bring Peace to Ethiopia?
- In the wake of the Tigray cease-fire, Ethiopians overwhelmingly seek transitional justice.
- Complex historical factors and the lack of a political transition after the Tigray conflict complicate finding the right transitional justice process.
- Transitional justice processes need to define the timeframe and territorial scope for accountability efforts.
- Many victims in Ethiopia seek domestic and traditional processes for holding perpetrators accountable.
The Clooney Foundation for Justice has handed over research on alleged war ...
Limits of the principle of world law
Quick Glance: Germany considers charging Russian war criminals
- Clooney Foundation presents extensive evidence of war crimes in Ukraine
- 21 suspects identified, including commanders
- Victims and families represented by the Clooney Foundation
- Investigations and arrest warrants are sought
Quick Glance: Web Summit CEO Resigns Following Controversial Post on Israel's Actions
- Paddy Cosgrave faced backlash for publicly accusing Israel of violating international law.
- Paddy Cosgrave, co-founder of the European tech conference Web Summit, which gathers thousands of leading tech startups and firms in Lisbon, Portugal, stepped down on Saturday due to criticism from sponsors and attendees.
- 'I'm shocked at the rhetoric and actions of so many Western leaders & governments, with the exception in particular of Ireland's government, who for once are doing the right thing,' Cosgrave said in his October 13 post.
- Two days later, Cosgrave updated his tweet to also condemn Hamas's October 7 onslaught on Israel, which resulted in the deaths of approximately 1,400 Israelis, mostly civilians. He called it 'outrageous,' 'disgusting,' and 'an act of monstrous evil.'
Quick Glance: Sanders Condemns Israel's Siege of Gaza
- Sanders criticizes Israel for cutting off supplies to Gaza, calling it a serious violation of international law.
- He praises the US for supporting Israel, but insists that Israeli defense forces should not retaliate against civilians in Gaza.
- He calls for restraint from Israeli forces attacking Gaza and advocates for UN humanitarian access.
- He emphasizes that half of the two million people in Gaza are children and should not be punished for the acts of Hamas.
New to NewsWall?
Sign up now to get your own personalized news!