Quick Glance: Jimmy Carter Faces Life Alone After Rosalynn's Passing
- Rosalynn Carter, aged 90, underwent major surgery in Atlanta.
- The surgeon warned Jimmy Carter about the dangers of the operation due to Rosalynn's advanced age.
- After learning of Rosalynn's survival, Jimmy made the decision to retire and spend time with her.
- This marked the moment when he truly retired from executive meetings at the Carter Center.
Quick Glance: Dem. Rep: Jan. 6 Tapes Will Prove Capitol Attack Was Insurrection
- Rep. Frederica Wilson (D-Fla.) seen during 7th Speaker ballot on Jan. 5, 2023, amid release of Jan. 6, 2021 footage.
- Wilson defends against Republican release of Jan. 6 footage, stating tapes will prove it was an insurrection.
- House Republicans begin releasing thousands of hours of Capitol footage online, with some redaction due to security concerns.
- Multiple Republicans, including former President Trump, praise release of tapes, suggesting it will change the narrative of that day.
Quick Glance: Senate Passes Legislation to Prevent Government Shutdown
- The Senate approved a bill on Wednesday to extend funding for federal agencies and sent the legislation to prevent a government shutdown to President Biden, just days before the weekend deadline.
- The bill, passed by a vote of 87-11, signifies a significant de-escalation between congressional Democrats and the new House Speaker, Mike Johnson (R-La.).
- Without the new spending measure, referred to as a continuing resolution or CR, the government would have closed shortly after midnight on Saturday, compelling federal employees - including military personnel and airport security officers - to work without pay or go on furlough on the eve of Thanksgiving.
- These concessions were sufficient to secure easy bipartisan support in the Senate, which is much less concerned with spending debates.
Quick Glance: U.S. Speaker's Decision: Public Release of 44,000 Hours Jan. 6 Footage
- House Speaker Mike Johnson is planning to make thousands of hours of footage from the Jan. 6, 2021, U.S. Capitol attack available to the public.
- The decision aims to give millions of Americans, criminal defendants, public interest organizations, and the media the ability to view the events firsthand.
- Approximately 90 hours of security footage will be released on a public committee website on Friday, with over 40,000 hours expected to follow in the coming months.
- A public viewing room will be established in the Capitol to enable viewing of the footage while the faces of individuals are blurred in the processing of the recordings.
The new Speaker of the House just dropped a HUGE batch of videos recorded inside the Capitol on Jan. 6: www.tmz.com/2023/11/17/speaker-mike-johnson-release-jan-6-tapes-protesters-capitol/
Quick Glance: Rashida Tlaib Censured for Israel Remarks
- The sole Palestinian-American politician in the US Congress was censured for her comments about Israel.
- The House of Representatives voted 234 to 188 in favor of censuring Rashida Tlaib.
- Rashida Tlaib, a Democrat from Michigan, was accused of promoting 'false narratives' about Hamas's attack on Israel.
- Republicans and 22 Democrats voted for the censure of Ms. Tlaib.
In a ceremony full of tradition, the King will lay out the ...
King's Speech 2023 live
Quick Glance: King's Speech 2023: Sunak Promises Brighter Future, Labour Criticizes 'Decline' - BBC News
- The plan was missing from the King's Speech, but sources say it has not been abandoned.
- Zara's family welcomes the King's Speech.
- After hearing the King's Speech, Labour leader Keir Starmer called it 'more of the same' and 'a new low'.
- A significant day for the King and Rishi Sunak, who heard their first King's Speeches and set the government's agenda.
Quick Glance: The Role of Speaker Mike Johnson's Religious Views in Politics
- Newly elected House Speaker Mike Johnson, currently serving his fourth term in Congress, is gaining attention for his strong religious views and how they shape his political decisions.
- During a recent interview on Fox News, Johnson was asked by a member of the media about his thoughts on various topics.
- House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries criticized Johnson for his extreme anti-abortion stance.
- Kelley Robinson, President of the Human Rights Campaign, described Johnson as the most anti-equality Speaker in the U.S. in a statement to ABC News.
Quick Glance: Republicans remove Jim Jordan as House speaker nominee
- Republicans abruptly remove Rep. Jim Jordan as their nominee for House speaker.
- Jordan failed badly in the third ballot for the gavel.
- House Republicans now need to come together and decide on their speaker.
- The House is left without a speaker and unable to function, as no one can currently win a GOP majority.
Just when the congressman thought he had neutralized Trump, the former president lowered the ...
‘I killed him'
Quick Glance: Republicans Fail in Choosing Candidate for Speaker of the US House of Representatives
- A third contender drops out due to lack of support from party colleagues.
- Republicans nominate a fourth candidate.
- Tom Emmer withdraws his candidacy for Speaker of the US House of Representatives.
- Republicans retreat behind closed doors, seeking a way out of the chaos they caused.
Quick Glance: Vote on Expelling George Santos Next Week
- Santos denies the allegations and insists on not resigning.
- Mr. D'Esposito's resolution states that George Santos is unfit to serve as a US representative.
- Indictments and investigations against George Santos are cited by him and his colleagues as justification for expulsion.
- Only two congressmen have been expelled in the last four decades, both after being convicted of federal crimes.
The former president's team were called before the judge after Trump's comment ...
Trump fraud trial live updates
Quick Glance: Trump Fined $10,000 for Violating Gag Order in Fraud Case
- Trump cites Michael Cohen as reason for violating gag order.
- Cohen testifies that Trump asked him to arbitrarily increase assets.
- Trump leaves courtroom after Engoron's denial.
- Cohen labels Trump a cheat before lawmakers.
Quick Glance: Why Jim Jordan is the top choice for House Speaker
- Progressive crime policies are destroying our cities, keeping criminals on the streets and businesses closed.
- President Biden's open-border policies have endangered our country, drained city budgets, and worsened the Fentanyl crisis.
- The American people elected Republicans to the House to check these policies.
- In the Speaker race, two key questions arise: who can best unite the Republican conference and effectively communicate our conservative vision to the American people?
Quick Glance: VentureBeat launches GenAI tour for 2024
- VentureBeat presents: AI Unleashed - An exclusive event for enterprise data leaders.
- VentureBeat, a leading publication covering generative AI news, is launching an event tour of major cities in the U.S.
- The AI Impact Tour, a salon series, will bring together AI decision makers from key industries on hot enterprise topics in eight cities across the U.S.
- The first salon event is set for Jan 10 in San Francisco and focuses on 'Getting to an AI governance blueprint'.
New to NewsWall?
Sign up now to get your own personalized news!