Quick Glance: Free COVID Tests by Mail Starting Monday
- California-based iHealth is among 12 US manufacturers receiving government investment to offer free tests by mail before the winter COVID season.
- Starting Monday, September 25, the government will send up to four free COVID-19 rapid tests per household to those who request them.
- Many programs that provided free COVID testing, treatment, and vaccinations to Americans ended when the pandemic emergency designation expired.
- The Department of Health and Human Services is now investing $600 million in COVID test manufacturing through its Administration for Strategic Preparedness and Response.
Quick Glance: Judge Chutkan denies Trump's request for her recusal in Jan. 6 case
- Judge Tanya Chutkan denied former President Trump's motion to recuse herself from overseeing his prosecution on charges related to his efforts to stay in power after losing the 2020 election.
- "Recusal motions can be wrongfully deployed as a form of "judge shopping,"" Chutkan wrote.
- Chutkan also noted she had never made any comments on Trump's culpability - his own attorneys had drawn that conclusion.
- Chutkan's decision comes after a September 11 request from Trump asking her to step aside from the case, citing comments she had made during the sentencing hearings of two defendants from January 6.
Quick Glance: Chinese Hackers Steal 60,000 Emails from US State Department in Microsoft Hack, Senate Staffer Says
- Chinese hackers infiltrated Microsoft's email platform and stole tens of thousands of emails from US State Department accounts this year.
- According to a Senate staffer who informed Reuters, we need to strengthen our defense against such cyber attacks and intrusions in the future.
- The US State Department has not yet responded to a request for comment.
Quick Glance: Judge denies 'fake electors' attempts to move cases to federal court
- Judge denies 'fake electors' attempts to move cases to federal court.
- Judge Jones denies defendants' requests to move their cases.
- Judge Jones rules that 'fake electors' were not federal officials.
- Judge denies defendants' argument of acting under the direction of other federal officers.
his year, 300 million euros were to be used to promote private solar systems in ...
Quick Glance: Rush on Solar Charging System Grants Overloads KfW Portal
- KfW portal overwhelmed after launch of solar charging station grants
- Fast applicants receive money
- State development bank overloaded due to competitive principle
- Fast charging points grow twice as fast as the total stock
Quick Glance: Wall Street Ends Higher Ahead of Inflation Report
- Solid growth in the US economy during Q2
- Investors await latest information on inflation in personal consumption expenditures price index
Quick Glance: Maryland lifts gun restrictions at bars and protests after legal challenge
- A federal judge temporarily blocked parts of a new Maryland law limiting the carrying of firearms.
- The decision was based on the recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling that expanded gun rights.
- The judge stated that the bans on guns at locations selling alcohol, private property, and public demonstrations went beyond historical restrictions.
- The Firearms Policy Coalition welcomes the expansion of gun owners' rights and is considering its next steps regarding the remaining restrictions.
Quick Glance: Ethiopian Assefa Sets New Marathon World Record
- Tigist Assefa sets a new marathon world record in Berlin with a time of 2:11:53 hours.
- She surpasses Brigid Kosgei's previous record by over two minutes.
- Assefa dominates in a super-fast race, showcasing her exceptional performance.
- Assefa previously improved the Berlin course record to 2:15:37 hours last year.
Quick Glance: Whistleblowers seek Texas Supreme Court intervention against Paxton
- At Paxton's impeachment trial, they testified about his alleged illegal use of office to assist a friend and political donor.
- The Texas Senate acquitted Paxton of 16 articles of impeachment.
- In a filing to the Texas Supreme Court, the whistleblowers argue that Paxton has not fulfilled important parts of the settlement agreement.
- They also dispute claims that they initiated the settlement discussions.
Quick Glance: Teamsters Union Strikes Two Amazon Warehouses in Los Angeles
- Teamsters Union conducts strike at two Amazon warehouses in Los Angeles
- Protest action by Teamsters Union at two Amazon warehouses in Los Angeles
- Strike by Teamsters Union affects two Amazon warehouses in Los Angeles
- Teamsters Union demonstrates at two Amazon warehouses in Los Angeles
Quick Glance: Counter-Strike 2 Now Officially Available
- Counter-Strike 2 was announced as early as March.
- Running on Source Engine 2, the same game engine utilized in Dota 2 and Half-Life: Alyx.
- Counter-Strike 2 is a free update for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, not a standalone sequel.
- Players in Counter-Strike 2 can now refund their weapons in case of accidental purchases.
In an interview with CNN's Kaitlan Collins, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel is getting closer to a "quantum leap" normalization ... Show more
Quick Glance: Netanyahu: Israel and Saudi Arabia Closer to 'Quantum Leap' Normalization Deal
- Netanyahu says it is 'likely' Israel will reach a normalization agreement with Saudi Arabia, marking a significant foreign policy shift for both countries.
- Such a deal has the potential to enhance Israel's acceptance in the Muslim world, particularly considering Saudi Arabia's role as the custodian of Islam's holiest sites.
- In 2002, Saudi Arabia proposed an 'Arab Peace initiative' offering Israel security and 'normal relations' with 57 Arab and Muslim countries in exchange for its withdrawal from occupied Palestinian territories and the creation of an independent Palestinian state.
- Netanyahu has made improving relations with Saudi Arabia a cornerstone of his premiership, although it is unclear what concessions toward Palestinians would be allowed by his right-wing coalition.
Quick Glance: Questions Arise from the Disappearance of China's Defence Minister
- Since late June, two senior officials promoted in a recent restructuring have gone missing: first Qin Gang, the former foreign minister, and more recently General Li Shangfu, the defence minister.
- He was supposed to attend a meeting with Vietnamese defence officials.
- They reportedly had an extramarital affair resulting in the birth of a child while Mr Qin was ambassador in Washington before becoming foreign minister.
- The news agency reported that eight senior officials from the procurement department are also being investigated.
Quick Glance: Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella to Testify in Google Antitrust Trial
- Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella is expected to testify on Monday as a witness for the U.S. Justice Department in their court fight against Google.
- Nadella will be a witness for the U.S. Justice Department in their once-in-a-generation court fight against Google.
Quick Glance: Biden invests $1.4 billion in rail safety and capacity boost
- Over $1.4 billion invested in projects to improve rail safety and boost capacity.
- Funding comes mainly from the 2021 infrastructure law.
- The projects will enhance the safety, reliability, and resilience of the American rail system.
- The grant enables the restoration of passenger service along the Gulf Coast, benefiting the region's economy.
Quick Glance: National Cathedral replaces Confederate windows with stained-glass tribute to racial justice
- The Washington National Cathedral unveiled new stained-glass windows with a theme of racial justice.
- The windows were installed in 1953 and donated by the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
- The original windows depicted Lee and Jackson as saintlike figures.
- The decision to remove the Confederate windows was made by Hollerith.
Quick Glance: Indian Americans Outraged by Seattle Cop's Disregard for Student's Life
- A viral video of a Seattle police officer has sparked outrage in the United States and India.
- Kandula, a student at Northeastern University's Seattle campus, is from the southern Indian state of Andhra Pradesh.
- Local leaders in Seattle have engaged with the South Asian community to address the situation.
- Indian media has been closely covering the case since the video surfaced.
Quick Glance: Pokémon collaborates with Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam
- Pokémon and the Van Gogh Museum are partnering to introduce young people to the work of one of the Netherlands' most famous artists.
- Children and their supervisors can have a special experience at the Van Gogh Museum, drawing on the museum's educational expertise and the Pokémon Company's collaboration.
- Visitors can learn to draw Pikachu and explore Van Gogh's connection to Japanese art and culture.
- The collaboration will run until January 7 and regular museum admission is required.
Quick Glance: Humans Triumph in Hollywood's Battle Against AI
- The Writers Guild of America's demands became an existential rallying cry.
- The strike also addressed streaming-era economics, writers room minimums, and residuals - not exactly compelling picket-sign fodder.
- WGA members will vote on a tentative agreement that requires disclosure of AI-generated material by studios and production companies.
- The agreement does not prohibit all uses of artificial intelligence.
Quick Glance: Biden recognizes two Pacific nations to counter China
- President Joe Biden officially recognizes the Pacific nations of Cook Islands and Niue to counter China's influence.
- The recognition of the two nations aims to maintain a "free and open Indo-Pacific region".
- The deals to recognize the two nations will also combat illegal fishing, address climate change in a vulnerable region, and boost economic growth.
- The Cook Islands and Niue together form a sprawling economic zone in the South Pacific.
Quick Glance: AMD GPUs in Linux: Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty Runs 31% Faster than Windows 11
- YouTuber Maximum Fury recently tested Cyberpunk 2077's latest 2.0 update in a modified variant of Fedora Linux called Nobara and found the open-source OS to be 31% faster than Windows 11 with the same system hardware.
- With the same settings, the system achieved 48.55 FPS in Windows 11, a 24% performance reduction compared to the Linux-based OS.
- Linux gamers using AMD CPUs and GPUs might see a significant performance advantage over Windows gamers when playing Cyberpunk 2077 update 2.0, at least with mid-range hardware.
- It remains to be seen whether similar improvements are available with different hardware configurations and whether performance with ray tracing enabled shows any difference.
Quick Glance: Ken Paxton acquitted and returned to office
- Texas Senate acquits Attorney General Ken Paxton of corruption and bribery charges.
- Only two out of 19 Republican Senators voted in favor of conviction.
- Impeachment managers allege that Paul helped Paxton with a home renovation and an extramarital affair.
- Whistleblowers reported Paxton to the FBI after discovering an outside lawyer's involvement and Paul's business dealings.
Recommended for you