Quick Glance: UAW to Strike Additional Auto Targets on Friday Without Progress - Source
- US President Joe Biden joins the United Auto Workers picket line in Belleville, Michigan.
- The United Auto Workers union plans to strike additional Detroit Three automotive facilities on Friday if there is no serious progress in labor negotiations, according to a source familiar with the talks.
- UAW President Shawn Fain plans to announce new targets at 10 a.m. ET Friday in online remarks, and workers would walk out of those sites at noon, the source said.
- The union historically selects one of the Detroit Three as the target for negotiations, setting the pattern for subsequent deals.
Quick Glance: Trump asserts freedom of speech as protection against 'insurrection' cases to prevent his candidacy
- Attorneys for former President Donald Trump argue that an attempt to exclude him from the 2024 ballot under a rarely used clause of 'insurrection' in the Constitution should be dismissed as a violation of his freedom of speech.
- The lawyers have made this argument in a filing published by a Colorado court on Monday, which represents one of the most significant challenges to Trump's candidacy under the clause of the 14th Amendment from the Civil War era.
- Trump will also argue that the clause does not apply to him because 'the Fourteenth Amendment applies to someone who was involved in insurrection or rebellion,' not to someone who merely 'instigated' an action,' Blue wrote.
- A second liberal group, Free Speech For The People, has also submitted a challenge to Trump's candidacy in Minnesota, which is scheduled to be heard by the state's Supreme Court on November 2.
Quick Glance: Farewell to Megan Rapinoe: Soccer icon departs U.S. national team
- In her final game for the national team, Megan Rapinoe bids farewell as an international soccer player.
- She became both a hero and a villain at the 2019 Women's World Cup in France.
- Rapinoe's soccer career is not yet over.
- She will finish the season with her club team, OL Reign.
Quick Glance: Abortion services resume in Wisconsin after 15 months of legal uncertainty
- Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin is once again offering abortion services at their clinic after a hiatus of over a year.
- Planned Parenthood cites this as the reason for resuming abortion services.
- Around 50 anti-abortion protestors gathered outside Planned Parenthood's Water Street clinic in Milwaukee on Monday morning for prayer and singing.
- Prior to the overturning of Roe, elective abortions were only available in three cities in Wisconsin - Madison, Milwaukee, and Sheboygan.
Quick Glance: Derby school impresses Ofsted with positive rating
- The head teacher of a Derby primary school is pleased with the positive rating from Ofsted, considering it a validation of the hard work put in by staff and pupils.
- Springfield Primary School in Spondon has shown continuous improvement.
- Inspectors noted that the students are happy, feel safe, and benefit from the diverse experiences offered by the school.
- The recently published Ofsted report describes the school as 'incredible', based on feedback from the students during the inspection.
Quick Glance: Trump pretends to support workers amid UAW strike
- The former president is undeniably trying to impress Michigan workers.
- Trump repeatedly boasted about his extensive infrastructure plans, promoting one infrastructure week after another.
- Trump successfully passed a significant legislation: $1.5 trillion in tax cuts that primarily benefited the wealthy and corporations, while providing minimal benefits to workers like the UAW members on strike.
- When it comes to unions, Trump doesn't genuinely support them - what he supports is union members supporting him.
Quick Glance: Former N.F.L. Player Sergio Brown Missing After Mother's Death
- Maywood police in Chicago suburb searching for Sergio Brown, 35, since Saturday.
Quick Glance: Trump Criticizes Six-Week Ban as 'Terrible'
- Donald Trump, former president and front-runner in the Republican primary, labeled a state abortion law signed by his top rival, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis (R), that enforces a six-week ban as 'terrible'.
- Trump refused and stated his intention to negotiate with Democrats on the matter.
- DeSantis quietly signed the six-week ban in the spring but has recently been discussing abortion more openly — causing concern among some Republicans who fear he has shifted too far right on an issue that could harm them in the general election.
- Nevertheless, the Florida governor declined to support the national 15-week abortion ban endorsed by some competitors, highlighting the political sensitivity of the issue for Republicans.
Quick Glance: Over 1,900 Book Titles Censored in 2023 - Alarming Trend
- Nearly 700 attempts to ban library books in the first eight months of the year.
- The American Library Association reported a 20% increase in attempts to censor 1,915 titles.
- ALA's data may not include all censorship attempts, as it relies on information from library professionals and news reports.
- Illinois became the first state to ban book bans in June.
Auto workers are on strike at General Motors, Ford and Stellantis ...
UAW strike Day 4
Quick Glance: UAW resumes talks with Stellantis, Chrysler's parent company
- The United Auto Workers and Stellantis have resumed their negotiations as the strike against the Detroit Three automakers enters its fourth day.
- Analysts and industry representatives are questioning how long it will take for the UAW to strike at additional locations to increase pressure on the automakers.
- The strikes have halted production at plants in Michigan, Ohio, and Missouri that manufacture the Ford Bronco, Jeep Wrangler, Chevrolet Colorado, and other popular models.
- Ford has temporarily laid off 600 non-striking workers at the Michigan Bronco plant due to the impact of the work stoppage.
Mexico has extradited Ovidio Guzmán López, a son of former ...
Quick Glance: Ovidio Guzman Extradited to US - Victory in Fentanyl War
- Son of Mexican drug lord 'El Chapo' Guzman extradited to the United States for fentanyl trafficking.
- The extradition of Ovidio Guzman is a success for the Biden administration's efforts to curb the spread of the deadly opioid.
- Two Mexican officials also confirmed the extradition of the 33-year-old Guzman.
- Guzman was briefly captured by Mexican military police in Culiacan, Mexico.
Quick Glance: Alan Williams Abruptly Resigns as Chicago Bears Defensive Coordinator
- Williams was absent from the team on Wednesday, September 20, for personal reasons, and Coach Matt Eberflus did not confirm if he still holds his position.
- I appreciate the opportunity to work with the Chicago Bears, a renowned NFL franchise with a prestigious history.
- Williams' resignation comes only two games into his second season with the Bears.
- Coach Matt Eberflus will lead the defense in Williams' absence and is expected to do so when the Bears (0-2) face the Kansas City Chiefs (1-1) on Sunday.
Quick Glance: Biden recognizes two Pacific nations to counter China
- President Joe Biden officially recognizes the Pacific nations of Cook Islands and Niue to counter China's influence.
- The recognition of the two nations aims to maintain a "free and open Indo-Pacific region".
- The deals to recognize the two nations will also combat illegal fishing, address climate change in a vulnerable region, and boost economic growth.
- The Cook Islands and Niue together form a sprawling economic zone in the South Pacific.
Recommended for you