Quick Glance: Trump found liable for fraud in New York civil lawsuit
- The court determined that the documents presented here contain fraudulent valuations that the defendants used in their business.
- Attorney General Letitia James filed a lawsuit against Mr. Trump last September, accusing him, his two adult sons, and the Trump Organization of lying about his net worth and asset values between 2011 and 2021.
- Mr. Trump previously denied any wrongdoing and dismissed the New York case as another politically motivated "witch hunt" brought by a biased prosecutor.
- As part of the Tuesday decision, the Trump Organization was instructed to cancel its business licenses in New York and propose independent monitors within 10 days to oversee the process.
Quick Glance: Will Trump's opponents repeat the errors of their initial debate?
- The key question for the second debate may be whether anyone in the field can use Trump's absence to make a stronger case against him and force him to reconsider his strategy of virtually ignoring the field.
- If they are genuinely trying to win the nomination, Trump's rivals have little to show for their deferential posture toward him at that first debate.
- Trump is still campaigning in the early primary states - albeit less frequently than his opponents - with appearances in South Carolina this week and Iowa on Sunday, as reported by CNN.
- At the least, Trump's comments on abortion seem likely to prompt more attacks on him Wednesday than he faced at the first debate.
Susanne Daubner bringt auf Sendung gewöhnlich nichts aus der Ruhe. An diesem Morgen kommt der ...
Quick Glance: Sprecherin Daubner's Laughing Fit on ARD Morning Magazine
- Daubner bursts into laughter and can't stop for almost a minute.
- Daubner returns to the moderator team, who welcomes her with a remorseful gesture.
- Possibly, a blocker is preventing this due to your browser settings.
Quick Glance: California governor raises taxes on guns to fund schools
- California will double taxes on guns and use the money for school security and violence prevention programs.
- The new law, signed by Governor Gavin Newsom, adds an additional 11% tax on guns and ammunition.
- California will be the only state with its own tax on guns and ammunition.
- Newsom, known as one of the country's most liberal governors, has often opposed tax increases, even for causes he supports like combating climate change.
Quick Glance: French Ambassador Departs Niger After Withdrawal Announcement
- Sylvain Itte, the French ambassador to Niger, has left the capital Niamey early Wednesday morning, according to the French presidency.
- Niger's military junta had ordered his expulsion soon after seizing power in a coup on July 26.
- France received EU support in refusing to bring back its ambassador.
- The decision sparked daily protests in front of the embassy and rallies across the capital with thousands demanding the withdrawal of French troops.
Quick Glance: UAW President Criticizes Trump's Loyalty to the 'Billionaire Class' Ahead of Visit
- UAW President Shawn Fain criticizes former President Trump, stating that he serves a 'billionaire class,' one day before Trump's visit to Detroit to speak with union members.
- Fain added, 'He serves a billionaire class, and that's the problem in this country.'
- Fain stated, 'All you have to do is look at his track record.'
- Fain said, 'And the ultimate proof of how much he cares about our workers was in 2019 when he was the president of the United States.'
Quick Glance: Raid and Ban of Artgemeinschaft: Faeser Informs about Police Action and Border Controls
- Officials conduct raid against group members
- Interior Minister Faeser informs about results of police action and decision for increased border controls
Quick Glance: Canada's House speaker resigns over inviting a Nazi fighter to Parliament
- Canada's House speaker resigns for inviting an individual who fought for a Nazi military unit during World War II to Parliament to attend a speech by the Ukrainian president.
- After Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy delivered an address in the House of Commons, a standing ovation was given to 98-year-old Yaroslav Hunka when Speaker Anthony Rota highlighted his presence.
- Rota introduced Hunka as a war hero of the First Ukrainian Division.
- Rota stepped down after a meeting with the House of Commons' party leaders.
Quick Glance: SEC Chief: New California Law Could Transform SEC Climate Regulation
- A pending California law could impact federal regulators' approach to forthcoming climate regulations.
- SEC Chair Gary Gensler's testimony highlighted the potential for the California law to support the agency's efforts to regulate corporate climate disclosures.
- California Governor Gavin Newsom intends to sign legislation requiring large companies to disclose their carbon footprints.
- The bill addresses the complex issue of measuring and reporting Scope 3 emissions, which are linked to supply chains and end-users.
Quick Glance: 15-year-old schoolgirl fatally stabbed outside Croydon shopping centre
- A young girl was fatally stabbed in south London.
- The incident occurred around 8.30am on Wellesley Road outside the Whitgift shopping centre.
- Police have arrested a teenage boy.
- Chief Superintendent Andy Brittain expressed: 'Our thoughts are with the family of this young girl, who are faced with this tragic news.'
Quick Glance: Biden's dog bites again: Secret Service officer injured
- Biden's dog Commander injures another Secret Service officer.
- The dog has had multiple unpleasant encounters with the individuals who protect the White House.
- The President and First Lady express their gratitude to the Secret Service and Executive Residence staff for their efforts in safeguarding them, their family, and the nation.
- The White House is developing additional leash protocols and training for Commander.
Private solar systems in conjunction with electric car chargers should be ...
Rush of applications
Quick Glance: Rush on Solar Charging System Grants Overloads KfW Portal
- KfW portal overwhelmed after launch of solar charging station grants
- Fast applicants receive money
- State development bank overloaded due to competitive principle
- Fast charging points grow twice as fast as the total stock
Quick Glance: Rich Countries Import Solution to Nursing Shortages
- Investigation reveals international bidding wars for healthcare workers
- Exploitation of nurses and strain on poorer health systems
- AMN Healthcare reports 300% increase in foreign nurses placed in US hospitals
- Pandemic intensifies demand for Filipino nurses and triggers mass resignations
Quick Glance: Donald Trump held accountable for fraud in New York civil case
- Engoron also ordered the cancellation of certificates that allowed some of Trump's businesses, including the Trump Organization, to operate in New York, and appointed a receiver to manage the businesses' dissolution.
- The judge described how Trump, his adult sons Donald Jr. and Eric, the Trump Organization, and other defendants fabricated valuations and inflated Trump's net worth to meet their business needs.
- Christopher Kise, a lawyer representing Trump, stated, 'Today's scandalous decision is completely detached from the facts and the applicable law.'
- James expressed anticipation in presenting the remaining aspects of her case in court.
Quick Glance: Czech Government Approves Purchase of 24 F-35 Jets
- According to Fiala, it is an effective solution.
- Defense Minister Jana Cernochova stated that the state will pay 150 billion crowns ($6.47 billion) by 2034, including 44 billion for base upgrades in the Czech Republic, as well as fuel, staff training, and taxes.
- In June, the US State Department approved the sale of F-35 jets, munitions, and related equipment to the Czech Republic, which will replace the leased Gripen fighters from Saab AB (SAABb.ST).
Quick Glance: Hollywood writers strike ends after guild leaders approve contract
- Hollywood's writers strike is declared over after union board members approve a contract agreement with studios.
- The writers still need to vote on the contract in October, but the strike will be lifted to allow them to work during the voting process.
- The writers were given the details of the contract for the first time after the board votes.
- SAG-AFTRA actors vote to potentially expand their strike to include the video game market.
Quick Glance: US Senate Considers Cannabis Banking Reform, Industry Demands More
- A US Senate committee will vote on a bill to grant the legal cannabis industry access to banking.
- The disconnect between federal and state governments is concerning for the $13.2 billion legal marijuana industry.
- Meanwhile, 22 states have legalized cannabis for medical or recreational purposes.
- The CEO of the National Cannabis Industry Association expressed frustration with the ongoing discussions.
More than half of the Democratic caucus has encouraged Sen. Bob Menendez (D-NJ) to step down following his ...
Quick Glance: Calls for Bob Menendez's Resignation
- Senator Bob Menendez to make first remarks following indictment
- Democratic senators call for Bob Menendez's resignation
- Many Democratic officials in New Jersey also call for Menendez's resignation
- Democratic Representative Andy Kim to challenge Menendez
Quick Glance: Nasa celebrates successful rescue mission: Asteroid sample reaches military base
- Capsule with most dangerous asteroid material safely landed in Utah desert
- Scientists hope samples will help explain the origin of life on Earth
- Contents of the capsule will be inspected under sterile conditions
- Researchers from around the world can request samples to support future generations
Police and public prosecutors have initiated an investigation against ...
Infidelity investigations against Giessen mayor
Quick Glance: Investigation against Gießen Mayor for Misconduct
- Investigation launched against Mayor Wright after failed traffic experiment
- Police and prosecutor's office investigating Gießen Mayor
- Failed traffic experiment in Gießen - Documents seized at city hall
- Gießen Mayor Wright may face personal consequences for misjudgment
Quick Glance: Former Trump Aide Hutchinson Criticizes Matt Gaetz Over Dating Rumors
- In an interview with MSNBC's Rachel Maddow, Hutchinson denies having a relationship with Rep. Matt Gaetz.
- Hutchinson emphasizes that she has higher standards in men and that she only had a friendly working relationship with Gaetz.
- According to Hutchinson's upcoming book, Gaetz allegedly tried to seduce her at Camp David but was scolded by Rep. Kevin McCarthy.
- Hutchinson also accuses Rudy Giuliani of groping her on January 6, a claim which Giuliani denies.
Quick Glance: EU: X Identified as Primary Source of Disinformation
- Over 6,000 unique social media posts were examined
- Study analyzes disinformation risk in Spain, Poland, and Slovakia
- TrustLab conducts study to support the EU's code of practice on disinformation
- X, formerly known as Twitter, is subject to the EU's Digital Services Act (DSA)
Quick Glance: Flexible border controls announced immediately
- Instead of fixed controls, extended flexible controls will be implemented at the borders with Czech Republic and Poland.
- Up to 500 enforcement officers from the German Customs will support the additional controls.
- The new controls do not require application to the EU Commission.
- Stationary controls have been in place at the border with Austria in Bavaria since autumn 2015.
According to a judge, former US President Donald Trump intentionally ...
Case against ex-president
Quick Glance: Trump Faces Fraud Charges: New York Judge Holds Him Accountable
- Former US President Donald Trump suffered a major legal defeat.
- Judge Arthur Engoron ruled that Trump and his company can be held liable for fraud.
- Trump manipulated the value of his Trump Organization for years, committing fraud.
- Trump is accused of inflating his wealth by up to $3.6 billion to obtain loans more easily.
Berlin will soon transfer several hundred thousand euros to German sea rescuers ...
Quick Glance: Meloni complains to Scholz about German support for sea rescue
- Berlin to transfer hundreds of thousands of euros to German sea rescuers soon.
- Italian Prime Minister feels overlooked and writes a letter.
- Meloni complains to Chancellor Scholz about German funds for refugee assistance in Italy.
- She emphasizes that assistance on land should be provided in Germany rather than Italy.
Quick Glance: British Museum seeks public and expert assistance in recovering stolen artifacts
- The museum has stated that most of the artifacts are Greek and Roman gems and jewelry, and has shared pictures of similar items.
- In a statement, the museum added that an additional 300 artifacts have been identified and will be returned soon.
- The museum is collaborating with an international panel of experts to identify and recover the items, and has registered them on the Art Loss Register.
- James Ratcliffe, director of recoveries at the Art Loss Register, mentioned that the museum has found a careful balance in providing information to the public to aid in recovery efforts, while avoiding giving too much detail that could be exploited by those acting in bad faith.
Chancellor Olaf Scholz has spoken out in the asylum dispute ...
Chancellor Scholz ends traffic light dispute
Quick Glance: Asylum Law: Scholz Ends Blockade and Speaks Firmly
- Olaf Scholz speaks firmly in the dispute over EU asylum reform
- Planned reform of EU asylum law controversially discussed in Berlin
- Scholz supports ending the blockade
- Dispute over crisis regulation in the planned reform of GEAS
Continuation of Public Accounts Committee hearings on NAO report into ...
Muscat on OCCRP corruption dishonour
Quick Glance: Muscat on OCCRP corruption dishonor: 'Makes my due diligence harder'
- No comment on Mizzi and Schembri, former energy minister and right-hand man
- Muscat resigned as PM and Labour leader after arrest of Yorgen Fenech
- Accusation: Fenech wanted to silence Caruana Galizia
- Muscat defends procurement of Delimara gas plant from Electrogas
Quick Glance: Paul Ryan warns Republicans about impending shutdown
- Internal conflicts within the House GOP have been occurring for weeks.
- Ryan, however, is uncertain if House Republicans will be able to accomplish it in time.
- Ryan served as Speaker of the House during the 2018 government shutdown, which lasted a record-breaking 35 days.
Quick Glance: Biden criticizes congressional Republicans for impending government shutdown
- President Biden urges Republicans in Congress to do their job or not be elected.
- A small group of extreme Republicans in Congress refuses to honor an agreement, potentially affecting all Americans.
- Congress has until September 30 to pass legislation to fund the government and avoid a shutdown.
- Biden calls out Trump for supporting a shutdown and neglecting American families.
Donald Trump committed fraud by exaggerating wealth, judge says: The ruling comes days before the civil trial is set to begin on New York AG Letitia James' ...
Quick Glance: Federal Judge Declares Ban on Certain Drag Shows Unconstitutional
- A federal judge declared that Texas cannot enforce a new law restricting some public drag shows as it is unconstitutional.
- U.S. District Judge David Hittner found that Senate Bill 12 infringes on the First Amendment and limits free speech.
- The law, now deemed unconstitutional, prohibited performers from dancing suggestively or wearing certain prosthetics in front of children.
- Similar laws in other states that restrict drag performances have also been ruled unconstitutional by federal courts.
Quick Glance: UAW to Strike Additional Auto Targets on Friday Without Progress - Source
- US President Joe Biden joins the United Auto Workers picket line in Belleville, Michigan.
- The United Auto Workers union plans to strike additional Detroit Three automotive facilities on Friday if there is no serious progress in labor negotiations, according to a source familiar with the talks.
- UAW President Shawn Fain plans to announce new targets at 10 a.m. ET Friday in online remarks, and workers would walk out of those sites at noon, the source said.
- The union historically selects one of the Detroit Three as the target for negotiations, setting the pattern for subsequent deals.
Sri Lanka handpicked India. The nation extended its support to ...
Quick Glance: India examines America's friendship
- Relations between Canada and India have significantly deteriorated.
- Many in India believe that the Americans have abandoned Mr. Trudeau.
- Instead of raising the alarm, it expressed concerns and urged India to cooperate with the Canadian investigation.
- India may have underestimated the strength of Western solidarity.
Quick Glance: Hunter Biden sues Rudy Giuliani for unauthorized access and sharing of personal data
- Hunter Biden files lawsuit against Rudy Giuliani for wrongfully accessing and sharing his personal data.
- The lawsuit is part of Hunter's efforts to push back against Republicans who have spread his private data, including alleged emails and embarrassing images.
- The suit accuses Giuliani and attorney Robert Costello of hacking, manipulating, copying, and disseminating Biden's data, resulting in a complete breach of his digital privacy.
- Biden also calls for an investigation into Giuliani, Costello, and the owner of the Wilmington computer repair shop.
Quick Glance: Biden Meets EU Chiefs for Steel Deadline - EU Official
- President Biden discusses with President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen in Washington.
- The United States has agreed to temporarily suspend tariffs on EU steel and aluminium imposed by former President Donald Trump. An agreement to promote environmentally-friendly production and address overcapacity, particularly in relation to China, is expected by the end of October.
Is it damaging to democracy when media representatives in Germany receive money from the federal ...
AfD organ lawsuit
Quick Glance: AfD Lawsuit: Can Journalists' Fees Remain Secret?
- AfD files lawsuit against German government for lack of transparency in journalists' fees.
- Journalists from ARD, ZDF, and Deutschlandradio received 875,000 euros, while private media employees received 600,000 euros.
- AfD criticizes the secrecy surrounding the names of journalists from public broadcasters.
- Fees can now be accessed by parliamentarians in the Bundestag's classified information office, ensuring transparency.
Quick Glance: Mark Milley's Controversial Legacy as America's Top General
- Milley's conduct was unquestionably extraordinary in the final months and days of the Trump administration.
- Concerned about Trump's mental decline, Milley instructed senior operations officers not to take orders from anyone unless he was involved.
- Milley publicly apologized for creating a perception of the military involved in domestic politics.
- Republican lawmakers and former Trump administration officials accused him of undermining civilian control of the military.
Despite problems that urgently need to be solved, a new self-confidence is ...
"Hart aber fair" on Germany
Quick Glance: Chrupalla predicts absolute AfD majority in the East
- A new self-confidence is emerging in East Germany despite pressing issues.
- Chrupalla refers to this as love for the homeland.
- Stereotypes about East Germans have decreased, but those with GDR experience are experiencing déjà vu in politics.
- Chrupalla is currently less concerned about this.
Quick Glance: Eric Trump criticizes court ruling on Mar-a-Lago value
- Eric Trump criticized a judge's valuation of Mar-a-Lago in a fraud case, claiming the Florida property could be worth over a billion dollars.
Recommended for you