Quick Glance: New Zealand Smoking Ban Reversal Sparks Health Expert Criticism
- New Zealand passed laws in 2022 to restrict and eventually ban cigarette sales to future generations.
- Smoking is the leading cause of preventable deaths in New Zealand, and the policy aimed to prevent young generations from picking up the habit.
- Health experts strongly criticized the sudden reversal.
- The announcement of the government's repeal of the laws shocked health experts who believed the policy would remain untouched.
Quick Glance: Impact of Hunt's Tax Cuts on Next UK Chancellor
- Next government may face cuts in public services to meet Autumn Statement pledges
- Jeremy Hunt's tax cuts have implications for his successor at the Treasury after the next UK general election. Economists warn of significant cuts to public services due to the pledged £20bn tax cuts.
- Paul Johnson, director of the Institute for Fiscal Studies, highlighted the challenge Hunt or his successor would face in managing post-election pressure on public services.
- While the decision was well-received by business groups and the right-wing press, it leaves large parts of the public sector with austerity measures, with unclear implementation plans.
Quick Glance: Greece Denies Commitment to Discuss Parthenon Sculptures During UK Trip
- Visitors at the British Museum admire ancient Greek sculptures, known as the Elgin Marbles, in London, England.
- Downing Street believed there were assurances that Kyriakos Mitsotakis would not publicly discuss the Parthenon Sculptures during his visit to the UK.
- A Greek government source denied that any commitments were made to the UK regarding Mr. Mitsotakis discussing the marble sculptures during his UK visit.
- The sculptures are a collection of ancient Greek treasures from the Parthenon in Athens, brought to the UK by British diplomat Lord Elgin in the early 19th Century.
Quick Glance: London Mayor Unites City Amid Gaza Conflict
- Easing community tensions is his top priority, Khan says.
- In his seven years as London mayor, Khan has faced Brexit, a pandemic, terror attacks, a tower block fire tragedy, five prime ministers, and a cost-of-living crisis.
- The Israel-Hamas conflict is deeply affecting Muslim and Jewish communities who have coexisted in London for generations.
- Khan supports Israel's right to defend itself, but warns against military escalation increasing human suffering.
Sunak Woos Global Business But Can’t Mask Focus Shift to Labour: Prime Minister Rishi Sunak pulled out all the stops on Monday to plug the UK as a place to ...
Quick Glance: Investment Surge
- Global FDI conference held in historic palace
- Sunak welcomes foreign investments, refrains from subsidy pressure
- Britain slips in FDI ranking
- Britain encourages investments from China for economic modernization
Quick Glance: Supreme Court Ruling Deems Rwanda Asylum Policy Unlawful
- The Supreme Court overturns a Court of Appeal decision, declaring the deportation policy to Rwanda unlawful.
- This decision means the flagship policy cannot proceed in its current form.
- Flights were grounded following the Court of Appeal ruling last June due to a lack of human rights safeguards.
- The Supreme Court decision leaves the £140m Rwanda scheme in tatters, with uncertain prospects for similar deals with other nations.
Quick Glance: Jeremy Hunt Plans Tough Decisions on Benefits and Inheritance Tax
- Chancellor Jeremy Hunt plans difficult decisions to reform the welfare state while cutting inheritance tax.
- Hunt emphasizes no easy way to reduce the tax burden and highlights the importance of the inflation decline.
- He announces it is the crucial moment for economic growth and refuses to disclose details about tax cuts.
- It is expected that Hunt is considering a cut to inheritance tax to gain party support.
Quick Glance: Braverman's Sharp Attack on Sunak After Dismissal
- Braverman launches scathing attack on PM Sunak, accusing him of abandoning secret promises.
- Former home secretary criticizes Sunak's record in government after her dismissal.
- Braverman criticizes Sunak in a letter, accusing him of betrayal.
- She thanks the PM for the dismissal but criticizes his governance and lack of support.
New to NewsWall?
Sign up now to get your own personalized news!