President Joe Biden said on Wednesday that a government shutdown is not evitable, but that if there is one ...
Quick Glance: Biden: No Inevitable Government Shutdown
- Biden believes nothing is inevitable in politics.
- A government shutdown is possible if a budget deal is not reached.
- A government shutdown could impact important work in science and health.
- Biden calls on Republican friends in the House of Representatives to fund the government.
Four of South African state utility Eskom's 15 coal-fired power plants are ...
Quick Glance: Exclusive: Eskom increases pollution to maintain power supply in South Africa
- Country faces unprecedented power crisis
- Maintenance delays and increased operation of Eskom plants
- Four facilities breach emissions limits
Breaking: Jacinta Allan will become Victoria’s next premier, running for the leadership unopposed. Ben Carroll will become her deputy.www.theage.com.au/politics/victoria/daniel-andrews-resignation-live-updates-victorian-premier-s-tenure-to-end-at-5pm-today-after-nine-years-in-power-jacinta-allan-tipped-as-successor-20230926-p5e7ss.html
Quick Glance: Biden's dog bites again: Secret Service officer injured
- Biden's dog Commander injures another Secret Service officer.
- The dog has had multiple unpleasant encounters with the individuals who protect the White House.
- The President and First Lady express their gratitude to the Secret Service and Executive Residence staff for their efforts in safeguarding them, their family, and the nation.
- The White House is developing additional leash protocols and training for Commander.
Quick Glance: Regulator Approves Rosebank Oil Field
- Equinor and Ithaca Energy granted development and production consents
- Rosebank is the UK's largest untapped oil field with an estimated 500 million barrels of oil
- Delayed decision on development now accepted
- Rosebank could account for 8% of the UK's total oil production from 2026
Quick Glance: UAW to Strike Additional Auto Targets on Friday Without Progress - Source
- US President Joe Biden joins the United Auto Workers picket line in Belleville, Michigan.
- The United Auto Workers union plans to strike additional Detroit Three automotive facilities on Friday if there is no serious progress in labor negotiations, according to a source familiar with the talks.
- UAW President Shawn Fain plans to announce new targets at 10 a.m. ET Friday in online remarks, and workers would walk out of those sites at noon, the source said.
- The union historically selects one of the Detroit Three as the target for negotiations, setting the pattern for subsequent deals.
Quick Glance: PwC Australia's Culture Criticized in Tax Leak Scandal Report
- An independent report criticizes an "overly collegial" culture where too much power was concentrated in the Australian firm's CEO and loyalty was rewarded over challenging senior partners.
- PwC Australia promises to install an independent chair and make other governance changes to address the political scandal and restore its reputation.
- A review by law firm Linklaters found no evidence of PwC personnel outside Australia using confidential information for commercial gain.
- Former PwC Australia CEO Tom Seymour resigned in May after admitting involvement with emails containing confidential information.
Quick Glance: Air New Zealand introduces bag tracking feature
- Air NZ passengers can now use a tracking feature to trace the journey of their bags.
- Travellers flying with Air New Zealand can track their bags, starting from today.
- The airline is updating its app to include a tracking feature that keeps customers informed about the status of their baggage.
- Missing or damaged bags can be reported directly from the app.
Quick Glance: UAW President Criticizes Trump's Loyalty to the 'Billionaire Class' Ahead of Visit
- UAW President Shawn Fain criticizes former President Trump, stating that he serves a 'billionaire class,' one day before Trump's visit to Detroit to speak with union members.
- Fain added, 'He serves a billionaire class, and that's the problem in this country.'
- Fain stated, 'All you have to do is look at his track record.'
- Fain said, 'And the ultimate proof of how much he cares about our workers was in 2019 when he was the president of the United States.'
Quick Glance: Qantas Chairman Stays on at Shareholders' Request Amid Turmoil
- Qantas chairman vows to stay in role despite scandals
- Biggest shareholders want leadership continuity
- Qantas shares at one-year low, but chairman has support from shareholders
Quick Glance: Hunter Biden sues Rudy Giuliani for unauthorized access and sharing of personal data
- Hunter Biden files lawsuit against Rudy Giuliani for wrongfully accessing and sharing his personal data.
- The lawsuit is part of Hunter's efforts to push back against Republicans who have spread his private data, including alleged emails and embarrassing images.
- The suit accuses Giuliani and attorney Robert Costello of hacking, manipulating, copying, and disseminating Biden's data, resulting in a complete breach of his digital privacy.
- Biden also calls for an investigation into Giuliani, Costello, and the owner of the Wilmington computer repair shop.
Quick Glance: Biden Meets EU Chiefs for Steel Deadline - EU Official
- President Biden discusses with President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen in Washington.
- The United States has agreed to temporarily suspend tariffs on EU steel and aluminium imposed by former President Donald Trump. An agreement to promote environmentally-friendly production and address overcapacity, particularly in relation to China, is expected by the end of October.
Quick Glance: Qatar Airways prevents recurrence of invasive gynecological examinations
- Qatar Airways rejects invasive gynecological examinations
- Five women file a lawsuit against the airline in Australian Federal Court
- No response or apology from Qatar Airways regarding the complaints
- Qantas supports recovery of the international aviation market before allowing more flights from Qatar Airways to Australia
Complaints about heat issues with the iPhone 15 Pro models are not related ...
Quick Glance: iPhone 15: Biggest Upgrade with More Features and Power
- The iPhone 15 represents the biggest generational upgrade, offering more features and power than the iPhone 14.
- Improved maximum brightness (2000 nits) and USB-C port for more versatile charging.
- The iPhone 15 utilizes the powerful A16 Bionic chip from the iPhone 14 Pro.
- An upgrade that surpasses the iPhone 14 and has been named the best value iPhone in 2023.
Quick Glance: Star Entertainment Group hits record low on equity raising plans
- Star Entertainment plans capital restructuring and raises A$750 million
- Stock price falls to record low after announcement of capital raising
- Star Entertainment takes on additional debt and restructures existing debt
Older customers feel badly treated by banks. In a survey, the majority of them reported blanket ...
Quick Glance: Discrimination of Older People by Banks
- Older customers feel mistreated.
- Survey reveals widespread rejection of loan applications.
- Older people perceive disadvantage in loan approval by banks.
- Survey conducted with customers from 100 different banks.
Quick Glance: Man ordered to compensate police for faked kidnapping
- Court orders 35-year-old to pay A$16,218 to NSW police for investigation work.
- Iera avoids jail time but receives three-year community correction order and 350 hours of community service.
- Magistrate Michael Ong describes Iera's actions as 'abhorrent'.
- Abbas Soukie, Iera's lawyer, says he is 'pleased' to have avoided jail time.
SEE IT: A mother in Mexico shielded her son from a brazen bear that jumped up on their picnic table and helped itself to their food — inches away from them ... Show more
Quick Glance: Bear Interrupts Picnic in Mexico
- A hungry black bear interrupts a picnic at Chipinque Ecological Park in Mexico.
- The bear approaches a group of visitors, mounts their table, and eats their food.
- It gets very close to a woman with a child's face.
- After eating, it jumps down from the picnic table.
Quick Glance: Indonesian ban deals major blow to TikTok's social media transactions
- Video app can no longer facilitate ecommerce sales in its largest market.
- Indonesia's ban on social media transactions has severely impacted TikTok's ecommerce ambitions.
- The ban aims to ensure fair competition, protect user data, and support local vendors.
- Indonesia was TikTok Shop's first and largest market for its ecommerce marketplace.
Quick Glance: French Ambassador Departs Niger After Withdrawal Announcement
- Sylvain Itte, the French ambassador to Niger, has left the capital Niamey early Wednesday morning, according to the French presidency.
- Niger's military junta had ordered his expulsion soon after seizing power in a coup on July 26.
- France received EU support in refusing to bring back its ambassador.
- The decision sparked daily protests in front of the embassy and rallies across the capital with thousands demanding the withdrawal of French troops.
Private solar systems in conjunction with electric car chargers should be ...
Rush of applications
Quick Glance: Rush on Solar Charging System Grants Overloads KfW Portal
- KfW portal overwhelmed after launch of solar charging station grants
- Fast applicants receive money
- State development bank overloaded due to competitive principle
- Fast charging points grow twice as fast as the total stock
Recommended for you