Quick Glance: Speculations arise from death of China's ex-PM Li Keqiang
- Chinese authorities struggle to control tributes following the death of Li Keqiang.
- Chinese censors are working to suppress mourning posts on the internet to avoid political or economic reforms.
- Public gatherings in the wake of Li Keqiang's death are prohibited.
- The CCP's panicked response to Li's death has fueled speculation about the circumstances.
China’s planemaker gets US$9.9bil order for 100 C919 jets: The deal could hurt US planemaker Boeing, which hasn’t secured a major order from Chinese carriers in ...
Quick Glance: China Plans Development Zones in Fujian with Taiwan
- Southeastern province to be developed together with the island
- Financial market initiatives included in the plan
- China supports Fujian in exploring a new development direction with Taiwan
- Taiwan rejects China's sovereignty claims
Quick Glance: Super Typhoon Saola Approaches: Hong Kong Grounds Flights and Shuts Schools
- Super Typhoon Saola recorded top wind speeds of 205km/h as it nears China's southern coast.
- Hong Kong has grounded flights, shut down its stock market, and closed schools as super Typhoon Saola barrels towards China's southern coast.
- Saola's wind speeds topped 205km/h as it came within 230km of the financial hub.
- On China's mainland, authorities issued the highest typhoon warning for the storm, which is expected to make landfall in coastal areas from Huilai to Hong Kong on Friday afternoon or evening.
Quick Glance: China's Diplomatic Success in the Middle East
- China's public diplomacy promotes development between Saudi Arabia and Iran.
- China strengthens ties with Saudi Arabia through technology transfer and drone production.
- The blame game points to the US and the West for issues in the Middle East.
- China collaborates with Middle East investors and becomes Russia's top oil supplier.
Quick Glance: China Eastern schedules first COMAC C919 flight
- The airline plans to operate the first flight of B-919A on May 28, 2023.
- According to Global Times, the airline will operate flights with the COMAC C919 soon.
- China Eastern Airlines had previously scheduled flights with the C919 in February 2023, but they were replaced with the Airbus A320.
- Before carrying passengers on commercial services, the C919 must undergo a 100-flight-hour test program.
Quick Glance: China's Economy Disappoints Investors Despite Acceleration in Q1
- Financial markets have raised concerns about China's economy, but Wall Street is missing the big picture.
- Growth in the world's second largest economy accelerated to 4.5% in Q1 from 2.9% in Q4.
- However, recent data suggests slowing growth in retail sales, home sales, industrial production, and fixed-asset investment.
- This has disappointed investors hoping for a bigger post-COVID rebound and led Wall Street to lower its growth estimates for the full year.
The best websites for searching SkyTeam award availability - The Points Guy: A look at the best websites to use when you want to find award flights for SkyTeam ...
📸: Sanjeev Verma/HT
Quick Glance: Airlines are struggling to repatriate dollars from crisis-stricken Pakistan.
- Carriers reduce or cancel flights as the country struggles with low foreign currency reserves.
- After Nigeria, Pakistan holds the second-largest amount of foreign currency from airlines in the world.
- "Some airlines still have funds stuck in Pakistan from sales in 2022."
- According to local media, a Pakistan senate committee this month asked the aviation ministry to urge airlines to resume operations.
China Eastern MU5735 Crash May Have Been Intentional, Preliminary Assessment Shows
New to NewsWall?
Sign up now to get your own personalized news!